V2 App report

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

pmacduffie

V2 App report

Post by pmacduffie »

Initial impression:

The new app is very nice looking and will likely appeal to the not so tech savvy computer user. Which is a good thing for you product brand. It does seem very "IPHONE" like in operation which is probably the goal as the smart devices are all touch enabled. Since things are a bit rocky at this point I have not used this app with the matching firmware on the actual device. I have a race coming up and cant risk mucking up my device which while not perfect does give me some usable data to work with post race.

I'm sure the new app will be an improvement in features and operation over time.

First install

APP 0.0.2
Host: Windows XP SP3

Failed to run.

Error:
Kivy Fatal Error. Nothing else is legible. Notification window is full of squares.

Install #2

APP 0.0.2
Host: Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
Race capture - not connected

Runs.

Notes:

1) Analog Sensors - Cannot Name a Channel
2) Can make random red dots on screen by right clicking pretty much anyplace. See image. Probably not supposed to do that. If you drag them below the last channel bar they disappear. Causing an occasional crash.

3) Accelerometer - Cannot select a "physical mapping"
4) Race tracks - Sebring doesnt show up in "USA EAST" nor does VIR, or Road Atlanta.
5) After clicking a "Channel name" field you can no longer select a working field unless you select another field first like "startup options"
6) There is no place I can find in the APP itself to find the version or build number of the app. Probably a good idea as development goes, or users cant tell you what version of the app they are using. Perhaps add a button for that. The windows title bar probably isnt a good location since Android/Ios ports wont have that.

Philip
Attachments
happy face.jpg
happy face.jpg (118.63 KiB) Viewed 889 times

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

first off, lol at the red dot smiley face. i dabbled with that too.

just wanted to reply to say i didn't have the the issue with 1 or 3. i was able to click the grey box next to channel name to drop make it a down and scroll and select oil pressure. granted, at first i was unaware that was scroll-able.

i didnt change my accelerometer's physical mappings but clicking on it does bring up the box to select X, Y, or Z

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the report.

Currently, the app expects a connected RCP to auto-download a configuration from. What we still need to do is load a default configuration *if* no RCP was found, with safegaurds in place so that users don't wipe out their RCP config by accident if they later connect the unit.

If you had the new firmware you'd be able to see channel information and so on.

The red dots in the app are there to emulate multi-finger gesture control in case there was a pan / rotate/ zoom in an app view. It might be possible to disable in the desktop version of the app.

We'll be adding the version number to the app in an upcoming release. Right now, it's embedded in the install folder (viewable in the Windows Start menu)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter