RCP MKII Unable to locate bootloader -Firmwar not uploading

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

danny325is

RCP MKII Unable to locate bootloader -Firmwar not uploading

Post by danny325is »

Running windows RCP 1.0.1 trying to upgrade to firmware 2.7.5 from 2.7.2

[/img]
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (42.82 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Danny,

Can you try the "Alternate Method" listed in the instructions here?
http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro ... 2_Firmware
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

rocket6706

Same Issue

Post by rocket6706 »

I am having the same issue with an upgrade from 2.74 to 2.75. When I turn on the RCP MK2 and allow it to power up the V1.0.1 application finds the COM port, displays the V2.7.4 firmware in the upper right, and I see data transmitting on the dashboard. I then go to configuration and locate the 2.7.5 firmware file using the firmware tab and file locate feature.

Once I click the open button to install the firmware the it starts looking for the device and goes into boot loader configuration (Green power LED solid on, and Red Error LED fast flashing) prior to receiving the error message.
Rocket 6706

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi rocket6706,

Can you try the "alternate method" in the above reply? let us know how it works.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rocket6706

Same Issue

Post by rocket6706 »

Brent: The same error message posted above; however, the time receiving the message is immediate, whereas the preferred method using the connection to the COM port has some hysteresis as it changes from standard configuration to secondary configuration. Bot receive error.
Rocket 6706

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

thanks for the update.

Try this:

* Shut down the race capture app completely. If you know how to start Windows Task Manager, make sure no "racecapture" or "python" processes are still running in the background.

* Hold the button down and plug in to USB so that it is in bootloader mode

* Look at windows device manager to verify you're seeing RaceCapture/Pro listed under the COM ports

* Once you've verified the com port is present (in bootloader mode), launch the app and then try the firmware upgrade.

If this doesn't work, try rebooting and try the above steps again.

Let us know what you find out.

Also: since you're already on 2.7.4 - you were able to upgrade successfully before, correct?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rocket6706

Post by rocket6706 »

See my comments in quoted text. Yes I was able to upload form 2.7.1 to 2.7.4 using methods provided.

* Shut down the race capture app completely. If you know how to start Windows Task Manager, make sure no "racecapture" or "python" processes are still running in the background. - Verified no processes running

* Hold the button down and plug in to USB so that it is in bootloader mode - Done and only LED illuminated are Red flashing and power green on.

* Look at windows device manager to verify you're seeing RaceCapture/Pro listed under the COM ports - Verified when unplugged not liste din COM and when in above bootloader mode COM 10.

* Once you've verified the com port is present (in bootloader mode), launch the app and then try the firmware upgrade. -

If this doesn't work, try rebooting and try the above steps again. - Same Error.

Let us know what you find out.

Also: since you're already on 2.7.4 - you were able to upgrade successfully before, correct?[/quote]
Rocket 6706

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update. Didn't see a reply to the last question - were you ever able to update previously?

Also, would you have a different computer to try this on, as a comparison?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rocket6706

Success

Post by rocket6706 »

Brent: Yes to the above, I was previously able to update from 2.7.1 to 2.7.4 after some finger crossing, standing on one leg and holding my breath.

I did a couple of things. Closed application, Removed and reinstalled Windows 7 driver, verified COM port and then closed out computer, logged back in and ran preferred method after COM port was found.....Success V2.7.5 installed. Slightly temperamental cold be my old laptop.

I am using an old Inspiron 1501 with an AMD processor that was a vista machine upgraded to Windows 7 SP1. It is pretty much maxed on graphics capability to make the Kivy OpenGL2 run. This project is a good excuse to upgrade to a new laptop.

NOTE: The V2.7.5 made the connection to my Andriod phone much easier and seamless than the prior versions...It just keeps getting better.

Thanks for the help
Last edited by rocket6706 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket 6706

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Wow, good debugging. Can you let us know what version of windows you're running there so we can note it? We're trying to reproduce it here with our limited number of windows boxes. :)

Thank you for your patience!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rocket6706

Inspiron 1501

Post by rocket6706 »

Brent: I have two computers that I tried running the RC software. My primary is a Dell Inspiron 1501 and the other is a Dell Inspiron Mini 10. The later will not run the software because it is a basic POS that I use in the garage for internet searches wile working on cars. The primary Laptop image is attached.
Attachments
Screen Capture of my Computer system Configuration.
Screen Capture of my Computer system Configuration.
Inspiron 1501 System.JPG (36.6 KiB) Viewed 6702 times
Rocket 6706

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Keep us posed if you have a subsequent problem upgrading the next firmware.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also, we're working on updating the loader / detection to *try a bit harder* to find the bootloader. We feel it might be giving up too fast when searching.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We just updated the app to 1.2.1 which has improvements around auto-redetection as well as some windows-specific changes to make firmware updating more robust. Could you try re-flashing firmware with the latest app when you have a chance?

http://autosportlabs.net/RaceCapturePro_Downloads

Thank you.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

danny325is

Post by danny325is »

I am not able to update from 2.8.2 to 2.8.4 I tried every method. I am using windows 10. I get the failed to find bootloader.