Helpful Definitions

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

cwilson

Helpful Definitions

Post by cwilson »

Is there one spot where I can read the definition of Save, Read or Write as used in RC? I've picked up a few uses of the terms in the quick start guide, but it's a little confusing as to what the difference is and why one vs another is used. If I understood the purposes it would help.

cwilson

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, we have a detailed explanation of the buttons here:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... Setup_Mode

Thanks! Let us know if it needs more clarification, we're always wanting to make it easier to understand and use.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

Definitions

Post by cwilson »

Thanks, not sure how after days of reading and watching your videos I missed that section. At first i was "saving" my test AX courses, but apparently one would never have to "Save" a course. The only thing I can think of to "Save" would be a RC computer file, e.g., a firmware update, or new RC program , is that correct?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Close, but not quite.

Firmware updates to the RaceCapture hardware are completely separate from the saving and reading of the RaceCapture's setup.

Think of it this way: You have a word processor, make a document, then "Save" the document to a file. that's the Open/Save equivalent.

Correspondingly, Microsoft announces a new version of Windows. when you upgrade Windows it's like upgrading the firmware on the RaceCapture hardware.

Hope that helps.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

cwilson

Saving files

Post by cwilson »

Ok but I'm still a little confused about for example AX courses I create. Since these courses will not be repeated, there's no reason to save them, correct? And, not saving them will not interfere with any analysis or pulling them up later as Sessions.

On the other hand, if I find a new race course not in the list of courses, and think I might come back and run on it again later, I could save it pending RC adding it to the list of known courses ?

I'm just trying to find a real example of when I might save a file and what type of file?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Correct. Saved track maps you create with the track map editor do not get saved as a file; they're just there mixed in with the other track maps that are provided by the system.

Only the specific RaceCapture settings are saved in the configuration file (when you hit "Save" on the Setup page).
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter