Raspberry Pi support - enables a hard-wired, dedicated dash

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

KDJones2000

Re: Raspberry Pi support - enables a hard-wired, dedicated dash

Post by KDJones2000 »

Hi all. Just got the RPI display with a RPI4 unit and have been setting it up using the Wiki instructions.

Everything seemed to be going well until I tried to download a bunch of tracks to the unit. The Racecapture app locked up and now no longer works.

I am getting the error:

line 49: exitstatus: command not found

whenever the unit tries to boot up and load the Racecapture app. This is when it is executing /opt/racecapture/run_raecapture_rpi.sh command, where the "Starting RaceCapture!" message appears before the error message comes up.

Is this a missing file or something? I did a reinstall and overwrite of the RCP app, yet am still seeing this error message.

Help!

Cheers, Keith

KDJones2000

Post by KDJones2000 »

I just did a complete reinstall and everything came up fine. I configured RCP to boot into the dashboard, didn't download any new tracks, and pulled up my dash board and configuration.

Everything was working fine, so I closed RCP and did a graceful shutdown of the system.

Today I came back to it, and am getting the same "command not found" error when RCP tries to start.

Anyone else seeing this? It seems to be something that happens as a matter of course, of if certain RCP options are chosen in the program.

I followed the script to install the OS (64-bit Lite, Bullseye), did the upgrades and settings, etc. This is on a Pi 4 8GB with a Raspberry Display.

I have removed the /opt/racecapture folder and reinstalled RCP manually, but still get this error.

The only deviation from the script I know of is that I used a user name not "pi". Would this affect RCP?

Not sure where to turn at this point.

EDIT: Just did ANOTHER full install and had RCP running fine. When I chose the "Run in Full Screen Mode" is where it seemed to go bad. Is there some issue with RCP with the Raspi Display and running in full screen mode? Is there a simple config file somewhere to reset this setting?

KDJones2000

Post by KDJones2000 »

I must be the first one to use the default Raspberry Pi display with RCP, based upon this experience.

Here are a couple of IMPORTANT THINGS to know if you decide to do this:

1) Do NOT RUN RCP IN FULLSCREEN MODE. This will cause the program to crash. I still have not figured out where the setting for this is stored, so fixing it involves reinstalling the OS and RCP software. I am sure that there is an easier way, just don't know what it is right now.

2) You need to set the display resolution to 640 x 480 for RCP to work with this display. The default is going to be higher, something like 800 x 600, and then there is no way to use the touchscreen inputs effectively.

3) I am not very confident that this whole Raspberry Pi set is powerful enough to not have significant lag, the same or even more so than using a tablet and wifi. The RCP application is using a lot of resources and even tracking the lap time is jerky and moves in fits and starts. Maybe this is due to the Lua script I am running for the CAN Bus, which I will try to fix.

Ugh...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

1. Fullscreen mode crash on the Pi will be fixed in the 2.10.5 release. In the meantime, please avoid setting this (it's fullscreen anyway on the Pi)

2. Not correct. The RC app, when installed per the instructions runs in 800x600 mode. https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... spberry_Pi

3. While there are faster devices, the Raspberry Pi 4 is the significantly better option vs the Pi3 - it should run your system smoothly in dashboard mode. 2.10.5 will have a modest performance increase due to an updated framework we're using, and there will be another performance boost with another future version.

Also - the exitstatus error message will be fixed in the 2.10.5 release as well.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

KDJones2000

Post by KDJones2000 »

Regarding #2: I had this as 800x600, and the touchscreen touch points were not aligned with the images, so much so that there was no way to hit the "OK" button in the lower right of the screen.

The only way I could fix it was to change the resolution in the config file to 640x480; then touch points aligned with the images.

YMMV....

Regarding #3: I did remove the Lua scripting and assigned things in the Can Mapping area. That seemed to improve the screen's response dramatically. I have not yet had a chance to make sure that all of the CAN channels are working as they should and will not for a while, however. I am thinking that the sluggishness may have been due to a double mapping of inputs (One through the CAN Mapping area, and the second through the scripting?), which may have also been the reason for numbers flickering in the first place. I hope that this CAN mapping works, and then I think we will have a solution that is acceptable :)

We shall see in a couple of weeks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

For the resolution, we will watch out for additional reports on this. A fresh install of bullseye with the app installed per the instructions should work right out of the box with the official display.

Yes, the direct mapping is much faster. If you have the same channel name defined in multiple places, then you will see flickering / jumping of values, as the respective subsystems step on each other.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

KDJones2000

Post by KDJones2000 »

Update on the CAN channels: The direct mapping without the LUA scripting works great now :)

Fast response, good for a shift light on the RaspPI.

Things seem to be working as they should be now...

Thanks for the help!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great, thanks for the update!