Guide to making Dashboards with Android Devices

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

jpf11

Guide to making Dashboards with Android Devices

Post by jpf11 »

Hey all, I've written a guide for setting up Android Tablets and Phones for use as automatic dashboards in your vehicles. It outlines how to automate behaviors like turning screens on, starting the RaceCapture app, automatically connecting to your RaceCapture, displaying your dashboards, etc. Hopefully people find this useful!

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... Automation

Feedback is appreciated! I'm here if anyone needs assistance.

jaytee

Post by jaytee »

This is awesome - thanks for sharing with us!

Any updates or lessons learned since you originally documented everything?

jpf11

Post by jpf11 »

So far everything for the most part is working well.

There is one issue I'm having with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1. Tasker for some reason sometimes doesn't take airplane mode off, while it does all the rest of the actions like turning on the screen and switching to the RC App. So the app comes on, but it can't connect. It's happening for me like 10% of the time. I might just need to double up the action or something. This issue never happens on the Nvidia Shield K1.

As I figure things out I've been updating that document so if I do solve this I'll make sure to update it, but I should I guess note things here too for reference for people that have already gone through the docs before.

I ran my new setup with my K1 and 10.1 dash this weekend at VIR and it worked very well, and impressed a lot of people attending Hyperfest. I never touched the tablets, they just automagically worked when I turned on the car.
Attachments
Race Capture Everywhere
Race Capture Everywhere
IMG_0231.jpg (193.19 KiB) Viewed 17112 times

MichiganMat

Post by MichiganMat »

Really nice document, thanks for putting it together.

I found that with my Fire 8 tablet that it needed to be configured via adb to reconnect to networks which do not provide internet access (i.e. RaceCapture devices). I was able to do that by disabling captive portal detection, an example of which is available here:

https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... k-on-wi-fi

The process is a bit complicated, but given the scope of your document it may be appropriate to mention.

Thanks again for the doc, I learned a few things that are really going to help with my setup.

jpf11

Post by jpf11 »

Recent updates to the Secure Settings app (as of Jan 2019) broke functionality, and in this case will prevent devices from turning off the displays automatically. Need to make sure you stay on version 1.3.6 and not update to 1.3.6u1 or later. Fortunately you can google for an older version of the apk and reinstall. I updated the wiki with this information. This is exactly why I disable auto-updates for apps, but the update itch got me and I discovered this issue.