RaceCapture/Track MK2 not connecting with WiFi or Bluetooth

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

brucecaboose

RaceCapture/Track MK2 not connecting with WiFi or Bluetooth

Post by brucecaboose »

Hello, I just received my RaceCapture/Track MK2 today and it won't connect to my Android phone (Pixel 4a) through Bluetooth or WiFi. I can connect to it through USB for windows and it says that WiFi and Bluetooth are both enabled. I've restarted the phone multiple times and have unpaired and re-paired through Bluetooth. I'm able to pair but it never actually connects. It just stays in "previously connected devices" in the Bluetooth settings. When I hit "Connect" nothing happens. If I connect with WiFi (which it does successfully), I can't connect through the app. I'm wondering if I have a defective unit since it actually didn't come in the box, it came separately wrapped in bubble wrap since my original order was missing the unit. It also looks like it's used, which is why I think this may be a defective unit. The bottom is scratched up and looks like someone tried to pry it open with a screwdriver at some point. I can't post the picture of the bottom here because of the attachment size limit but I can send the picture if needed.
I've also tried doing a firmware update with the latest on your site (which ended up being the same version) and tried a factory reset and the behavior is the same. What else can I try to get this working?

My phone is a Pixel 4a running Android 11, the RaceCapture/Track mk2 is on version 2.17.8.

brentp
Site Admin

Re: RaceCapture/Track MK2 not connecting with WiFi or Bluetooth

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce,

We can help. First step, can you pair the unit with Bluetooth when it is powered up? This is done through the Android Bluetooth settings. It should show up as "RaceCapture" - default password is 1234.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brucecaboose

Post by brucecaboose »

Yes, it pairs but immediately disconnects and won't connect again.

brucecaboose

Post by brucecaboose »

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can do?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Bruce, thanks for clarifying - sorry for the delay - we'll keep a better eye on this thread.

Just as a diagnostic test, can you bluetooth with a different Android device - like a tablet?

For WiFi mode, you will need to connect Android to RaceCapture's WiFi network (it is open by default) - and then go to the app and switch the connection mode to WiFi, under preferences via the status menu in the upper left.

Regarding your comment on it appearing used - the enclosures sometimes have markings on the bottom if we have to open them during the mfg / QA process. It is not a used unit.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brucecaboose

Post by brucecaboose »

So I was able to find an old Pixel 1 phone that I had sitting in the closet and that was able to connect with Bluetooth! Unfortunately I still can't get it to connect on my Pixel 4a with bluetooth or wifi, but knowing that it's not the device is good!
I was looking at getting a new tablet anyway to mount in the car, do you have a list of tablets that are known to work with the racecapture/track mk2?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you were able to confirm it working.

I think we've seen the issue regarding bluetooth being stuck in the "previously connected device" category - it was resolved through a combination of turning bluetooth off/on on the android device, selecting "unpair" and then re-pairing it.

For tables, we highly recommend either the Amazon Fire 8" or 10" - Fast, low cost, and high quality devices.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter