RC Track Mk2 - Charlotte e46

Q&A for the RaceCapture Plug & Play - general hardware related usage and operation; for app related questions please post in the RaceCapture app section.

also see the <a href="https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Quickstart">RaceCapture quick start guide</a>
jwads

RC Track Mk2 - Charlotte e46

Post by jwads »

just received the mk2 and cant connect thru bluetooth, and no data thru legacy obd II. USB cable and wifi are good to get to android unit/pc.

i'm not sure where to start - should i just be seeing data flow in or do i need a script to map my ecu?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We can help.

Which Android device are you trying to connect with the system?

What you'll need to do first is Pair your phone/tablet with RaceCapture - you need to do this under Android settings (not in the app).

When pairing, it will ask for a pass code. Use '1234'.

Once it is paired, then you can launch the app. Go through the first time guided setup.

Let us know how that goes, we'll watch this for updates.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jwads

Post by jwads »

Thanks for the note - finally got a chance to take a look at this again. I'm not certain bluetooth is functional as I can't see a signal broadcast from the RaceCapture unit. That goes for Windows 10 PC, Google Pixel phone, and also the Eonon headunit I have in the car running Android 8. I also followed the guide for resetting BT settings via USB connection to PC, still nothing - next steps?

I was, however, successful in getting some data to flow through the legacy OBD II reader once I swapped out the ethernet cable. This was via WiFi connection.

Quasi-related question; it appears that when plugged into the OBDII port the unit remains powered even when the car is off. Other than as a source to drain battery over extended periods, it seems to me that the unit may benefit from regular power cycles. Any advice on this topic? My intent had been a permanent install. In addition to occasional track duty, the car gets daily driven but does get parked for extended periods (couple weeks) from time to time.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Try going through the Bluetooth Setup instructions carefully (we just updated these). Important is the part where you pair it in Android settings, outside of the RaceCapture app.
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _Bluetooth

You're right, the unit remains powered up when plugged into OBDII, as the OBDII port is typically permanently powered.

Let us know what you find out on the Bluetooth connection.

Thank you,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jwads

Post by jwads »

Instructions were followed. I can't see a BT network id for the RC unit when attempting to pair outside of the app. Using USB I can set the BT network name as "RC2" click "write" then attempt to pair before and after a power-cycle but my devices (PC/phone) do not see any available devices to pair with.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So, when connected over USB - navigate to the system status page via the hamburger menu in the upper left. Go to the Bluetooth section.

Does the Bluetooth show as "Initialized", or does it show an error?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jwads

Post by jwads »

Initialized

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That's a good sign, RC thinks that the BT module is working.

As a test, can you try a different Android device and go into the bluetooth settings of that device and attempt to pair with it? When you go to "Scan" for bluetooth devices, RaceCapture should popup in the list of devices in the area.

Default password is 1234. (can be changed later under Setup)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter