Bluetooth connection issues

Q&A for the RaceCapture Plug & Play - general hardware related usage and operation; for app related questions please post in the RaceCapture app section.

also see the <a href="https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_Quickstart">RaceCapture quick start guide</a>
HomebuiltRacing

Bluetooth connection issues

Post by HomebuiltRacing »

Hi! Just installed Track MK2 on Mazda RX8.
First I tried to connect via Bluetooth and connection was not stable - device kept reconnecting sometimes. Changed for wifi for initial setup and it worked fine.
Later I tried to sort it out and at this point I can't even pair Android phone to the device. After entering the code dialog pops up back again and sometimes pairing process crashes with message "can't communicate with Race Capture"
I tried different Android phones, rebooted them several times, updated firmware on the device to the latest version, but problem is still there.
I changed name and code for Bluetooth connection, and I can see new name while trying to pair with the device, but entering the code doesn't do anything - dialog pops up again.
At the very begining I was able to pair it, but app struggled to connect via Bluetooth and keep the connection alive.
Can I try something else to fix this?
Also, why there is no setting for which Bluetooth device to use? In my case app just tried to connect to each device in my paired devices list.

HomebuiltRacing

Anyone?

maybe somebody can help me with advice how to setup wiFi network in the car so I can connect to the device via WiFi, but device still be able to control GoPros and stream data to Podium via the same network?
I have GoPro 3 and I believe I can't make them to connect to some network it's rather I have to connect to their WiFi...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Which devices (brand / models) did you use to try pairing Bluetooth? We can check compatibility.

When changing bluetooth settings, it's also helpful to connect with USB on your laptop so you can access the settings. Try changing the BT settings to "RaceCapture" and "123456" as a test to see if you can pair with it again.

Thanks, will watch for updates.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

HomebuiltRacing

I have OnePlus 5T, other device experienced the same issue is one of latest top tier Samsungs, not sure about model.

I managed to change Bluetooth name and passkey several times, but the changes in listed available Bluetooth devices were not consistent. After writing settings I tried to reboot device via app, disconnecting power, restarting Bluetooth on the phone and reboot phone completely in different combinations.
Most of the times I see older name as expected and one time I managed to pair with the device using older passkey that was supposed to be changed. Couple of times after entering the passkey I got message that passkey is incorrect and should be 16 digits, which is impossible because I always used only 1234 or 0000 in settings. But this message wasn't consistent.
Once I also did factory reset via app and it had no effect on Bluetooth device name in the list, including after cycling power.
Out of several successful attempts of pairing phone with the device only couple of times I managed to connect via Bluetooth in app (configuration was uploaded and version displayed in the top corner), but in all cases connection dropped very quickly and I can't recall successful re-connection attempts. App was just switching between all Bluetooth devices saved on the phone with none of them being on or in range.
Currently I have hotspot set up on the phone and device consistently connects to the hotspot, so at least I have internet while connected and it sterams to Podium. But in this situation I'm not sure how to control gopos over wifi.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like your testing is comprehensive; If you continue to see issues with Bluetooth you can contact us at [email protected] and we can look at it for possible repair.

The bluetooth should be compatible with a wide variety of devices, including samsung devices. A standard recommended tablet is the Fire8 HD.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter