Adding Analog Sensors - RCT Mk3

hardware installation for the RaceCapture Plug & Play, including custom installations
rarienzale

Adding Analog Sensors - RCT Mk3

Post by rarienzale »

Hi,

I'm currently using a RaceCapture Track Mk3, but want to add an analog oil pressure sensor. I thought this would be relatively easy by plugging an AnalogX2 box into the CAN1/CAN2 port on the RCT, however this seems a bit more complex than I initially thought.

I am currently powering my RCT and pulling data from an OBD to CAN cable (connected to the CAN1/POWER) port. Based on my understanding I will need to connect my OBD to CAN cable to the POWER port on the Dual CAN data hub, which will receive power and data from my OBD port. The Dual CAN hub will then provide power to the AnalogX via one of the 4-pin CAN2 ports. I then need to run a 6-pin CAN cable from the 6-pin INPUT port on the Dual CAN hub to the 6-pin CAN1/CAN2 port on the RCT, which will provide the 2 channels of CAN data and power to the RCT. Is this correct?

Is there a way to avoid adding the CAN hub? It seems unnecessary to add another piece of hardware to the equation. Is it possible to run the OBD to CAN cable to the 4-pin CAN1/POWER port on the RCT, and build a 6-pin male to 4-pin female harness (connecting the CAN2 pins on the 6-pin male harness to the CAN pins on the 4-pin female harness) to connect from the CAN1/CAN2 port on the RCT to the AnalogX, in order to provide power and receive data? Or, would I need to build a custom harness that integrates the CAN1 and power signals from the OBD to CAN cable into a 6-pin harness, that also connects to AnalogX (i.e. 12v and ground come from the OBD-CAN cable, as well as CAN1L/CAN2H, while CAN2L/CAN2H, power, and ground connect to AnalogX)?

Thanks
Richard

rarienzale

Re: Adding Analog Sensors - RCT Mk3

Post by rarienzale »

Since this post it looks like a CAN1/CAN2 splitter cable has been released. All of my questions were answered here. https://www.autosportlabs.com/plug-and- ... -networks/

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Adding Analog Sensors - RCT Mk3

Post by brentp »

Great, Glad you found the blog post!

We have a full plug and play solution for CAN bus as well as analog sensors (analog sensors will be discussed in a separate blog post)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter