Initial Set Up Questions

hardware installation for the RaceCapture Plug & Play, including custom installations
jd318

Initial Set Up Questions

Post by jd318 »

I'm planning on using velcro to mount my new race capture unit to my dash. I understand it needs to be square to the axis of the car with a clear view of the sky, but is it also important to mount it in the center of the dash? I would think so, but can't find any mention of it.

Any one have some pictures of their set up?

Also, is it necessary to calibrate any of the sensors/accelerometers, or should the factory settings be sufficient?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

It's nice to mount it in the center, but not critical. It provides the best view of the sky with minimal metal / obstructions around the antenna.

You can re-orient and calibrate the accelerometers in the Accelerometer / Gyro setting of the app.

Would be great to see your installation as well as others!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

brentp wrote:Hi,

It's nice to mount it in the center, but not critical. It provides the best view of the sky with minimal metal / obstructions around the antenna.

You can re-orient and calibrate the accelerometers in the Accelerometer / Gyro setting of the app.

Would be great to see your installation as well as others!
So as close to the longitudinal center line of the car and as flat a spot as I can find. With respect to the Gyro setting, do I just want to zero out any numbers that aren't zero due to the shape of the dash? Also, will the system remember those settings, or do I need to re-calibrate each time I turn the system on?

Thanks!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Correct, when you use the calibrate button it will zero out the gyro and accelerometer, correct. it will write and flash the settings on the RaceCapture device, storing it permanently. Always good to save a copy of your config for safe keeping, of course.