Two quick questions

hardware installation for the RaceCapture Plug & Play, including custom installations
ottacat

Two quick questions

Post by ottacat »

I'm looking at buying the RaceCapture/Track but have a couple of questions:

1. How long is the included OBDII cable? I have a Nissan 350Z and the best mounting location would actually be on the rear strut bar which sits under the hatch glass which has an excellent view of the sky for GPS reception. However to use that location, the cable would need to be long enough.

2. How exactly is the unit powered - battery, USB cable? I've read the documentation and honestly, this point isn't clear to me.

3. I have a 2008 350Z, so from what I've read, I wouldn't need the legacy OBD adapter but is there anyway I can confirm this?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

AutocroSSer

Re: Two quick questions

Post by AutocroSSer »

ottacat wrote:I'm looking at buying the RaceCapture/Track but have a couple of questions:

1. How long is the included OBDII cable? I have a Nissan 350Z and the best mounting location would actually be on the rear strut bar which sits under the hatch glass which has an excellent view of the sky for GPS reception. However to use that location, the cable would need to be long enough.

2. How exactly is the unit powered - battery, USB cable? I've read the documentation and honestly, this point isn't clear to me.

3. I have a 2008 350Z, so from what I've read, I wouldn't need the legacy OBD adapter but is there anyway I can confirm this?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
The cable is a few feet long...likely won't reach as far as you want. That said, a CAT6 extension cable (female jack on one end, male on the other) can extend it...did that in my install, works fine.

It is powered by the OBD Cable, OR can be powered thru the MiniUSB jack as well. I power thru the USB jack for setting course on course walks (battery pack thru USB), then plug into OBD in the car before unplugging USB. The unit never powers off.
Ed Runnion
2015 Ford Fiesta ST (HS SCCA)
2006 GMC Duramax Pickup (also CANbus!)
1996 Chevy Impala SS, "modified"