Trouble with initial set up

hardware installation for the RaceCapture Plug & Play, including custom installations
jd318

Trouble with initial set up

Post by jd318 »

I'm trying to get my racecapture/track configured, but I'm really struggling with the quick start instruction, which really doesn't give much detail. I've got everything installed and can connect to the module, however even after setting the obdII channels I want (RPM for example) I'm not getting any data to my dash board. I also don't know how I should set the gyro orientation. I have the unit in the center of my dash board with the plug ports facing into the car.

Car is an E36 BMW. What channels should I be able to get data from (I am getting a battery reading)?

Does the car need to be on when doing all of the configuring? Also, what do the icons in the upper right of the app mean? I figure one is GPS but I'm confused on the others.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Let's figure this out. What version of RaceCapture/Track do you have - is it with or without the classic OBDII adapter?

With the E36, it requires the classic OBDII adapter- and you'll get some standard channels like RPM, TPS, Engine Temperature and manifold pressure, to name the essentials.

When you go to the dashboard mode and scroll to the screen that has the green 'raw channels' view, you can see other data points updating, but not OBDII?

The icons from left to right are: GPS status, telemetry status, and communications status (wifi).

Also, if you could save your current unit's configuration to a file, please attach it here and we can inspect it.

Thank you,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

brentp wrote:Hi,

Let's figure this out. What version of RaceCapture/Track do you have - is it with or without the classic OBDII adapter?

With the E36, it requires the classic OBDII adapter- and you'll get some standard channels like RPM, TPS, Engine Temperature and manifold pressure, to name the essentials.

When you go to the dashboard mode and scroll to the screen that has the green 'raw channels' view, you can see other data points updating, but not OBDII?

The icons from left to right are: GPS status, telemetry status, and communications status (wifi).

Also, if you could save your current unit's configuration to a file, please attach it here and we can inspect it.

Thank you,
[Kivy ] v1.9.1
[Logger ] Record log in /data/data/com.autosportlabs.racecapture/files/.kivy/logs/kivy_17-06-11_0.txt
[Python ] v2.7.2 (default, Apr 10 2017, 13:52:22)
[GCC 4.8]
[Factory ] 179 symbols loaded
stderr: /data/data/com.autosportlabs.racecapture/files/lib/python2.7/site-packages/kivy/core/image/img_pygame.py:13: RuntimeWarning: import cdrom: No module named cdrom
stderr: (ImportError: No module named cdrom)
[Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_gif, img_pygame (img_pil, img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[Window ] Provider: pygame
[GL ] OpenGL version <OpenGL ES 2.0>
[GL ] OpenGL vendor <ARM>
[GL ] OpenGL renderer <Mali-450 MP>
[GL ] OpenGL parsed version: 2, 0
[GL ] Texture max size <4096>
[GL ] Texture max units <8>
[Support ] Android install hooks
[Window ] virtual keyboard not allowed, single mode, not docked
[Clipboard ] Provider: android
[Text ] Provider: pygame
[UserPrefs ] Data Dir is: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.autosportlabs.racecapture/files
[AppConfig ] using user storage directory: /sdcard/racecapture
[GL ] NPOT texture support is available
[OSC ] using <thread> for socket
[Base ] Start application main loop
[Android ] found 17 joystick
[Android ] create joystick <0>
[Android ] discard joystick <0> cause no button
[Android ] create joystick <1>
[Android ] create joystick <2>
[Android ] create joystick <3>
[Android ] create joystick <4>
[Android ] create joystick <5>
[Android ] create joystick <6>
[Android ] create joystick <7>
[Android ] create joystick <8>
[Android ] create joystick <9>
[Android ] create joystick <10>
[Android ] create joystick <11>
[Android ] create joystick <12>
[Android ] create joystick <13>
[Android ] create joystick <14>
[Android ] create joystick <15>
[Android ] create joystick <16>
[Main ] Datastore Path:/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.autosportlabs.racecapture/files/datastore.sq3
[Main ] initializing datastore...
[RacecaptureApp] initializing rc comms with, conn type: WiFi
[SocketComm ] init
[RCPAPI ] msg_rx_worker starting
[RCPAPI ] cmd_sequence_worker starting
[RCPAPI ] auto_detect_worker starting
[SocketConnection] listening for RC wifi...
[DataStore ] Applying db migrations: []
[DataStore ] db migrations complete
[SocketConnection] got UDP data {"beacon":{"name":"RCT","port":7223,"serial":"1A0030000A57335239383620","ip":["192.168.4.1"]}}

[RCPAPI ] trying last known device first: 192.168.4.1
[SocketComm ] connection process starting
[SocketComm ] connection thread message writer started
[DataBusPump ] Checking for streaming API support
[StatusPump ] status_worker starting
[TelemetryManager] on_data_connected: True
[TelemetryManager] start() telemetry_enabled: False cell_enabled: False
[TelemetryManager] self._should_connect is false, not connecting
[DataBusPump ] device supports streaming
[DataBusPump ] Sample Meta is stale, requesting meta
[SessionRecorder] ChannelMeta changed - stop recording
[RcpConfig ] Config version 2.10.2 Loaded
[TelemetryManager] Got new device id
[SessionRecorder] starting new session
[DataStore ] Created session with ID: 14
[Datastore ] init_session. channels: {u'GPSQual': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbbd0>, u'Utc': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea470>, u'Yaw': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcb510>, u'GPSSats': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbf90>, u'CurrentLap': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcb950>, u'Latitude': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbbf0>, 'LapDelta': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbc90>, u'Roll': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbd10>, 'BestLap': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcba90>, u'AccelZ': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbb90>, u'AccelX': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbcf0>, u'AccelY': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbd50>, u'GPSDOP': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcb910>, u'RPM': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcb1b0>, u'Altitude': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea2d0>, u'Distance': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9ebcbab0>, u'EngineTemp': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea1f0>, u'Interval': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea110>, u'Longitude': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea070>, u'ElapsedTime': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea0d0>, u'PredTime': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea030>, u'SectorTime': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea350>, u'Sector': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea3d0>, u'Battery': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea430>, u'LapCount': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea2f0>, u'LapTime': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea270>, u'Pitch': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea390>, u'Speed': <autosportlabs.racecapture.data.channels.ChannelMeta object at 0x9eaea250>}
[RaceCaptureApp] Current Tracks Loaded
[RoundGauge ] error setting gauge value float division by zero
[Clock ] Warning, too much iteration done before the next frame. Check your code, or increase the Clock.max_iteration attribute
[SessionRecorder] scheduling session stop

jd318

Post by jd318 »

Thank you,
The application version is 1.9.1, and it is with the OBDII adapter. When I scroll to the raw channels, the battery and the gyros seem to be getting data, but none of the others (with engine running). I've never noticed the telemetry icon lighting up, and when I tried to analyze one of my test sessions I couldn't get it to load any data despite there being sessions listed to select. Does it need to be connected to the unit via wifi to access the data for analysis, or does that get saved in the app?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, thanks for the update.

I forgot to ask, what firmware version does it report? Firmware version is shown in the upper right when you connect - it shows "RaceCapture/Track x.y.z" where x.y.z is the firmware version.

If you're not on the latest 2.11.0 firmware, we should get you upgraded.

Let us know, we'll watch this thread for updates.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

OSX 1.10.1 .dmg is now available. original post updated.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

brentp wrote:Hi, thanks for the update.

I forgot to ask, what firmware version does it report? Firmware version is shown in the upper right when you connect - it shows "RaceCapture/Track x.y.z" where x.y.z is the firmware version.

If you're not on the latest 2.11.0 firmware, we should get you upgraded.

Let us know, we'll watch this thread for updates.
Firmware is 2.10.2. Also, I noticed that I had forgotten to hit the battery kill switch when I parked the car after my last event, and when I went to plug the racecapture cat line into the OBDII Adapter to find the firmware version the adapter was warm (noticeably warm). Is that normal?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

To fix your OBDII channels you will need to update to the latest 2.11.0 firmware.

Steps:

1. Install the latest RaceCapture/Track 2.11.0 firmware using these instructions:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... e_Firmware

2. After you've verified you have 2.11.0 installed, remove all of your existing OBDII channels, if any are present.

3. In the OBDII channels screen, Ensure OBDII is turned 'on' and add a single channel - RPM is suggested.

4. Write the config back to the unit.

5. Go to the dashboard mode, switch to the Raw Channels view and then start your engine and wait for the RPM signal to appear (it will take several seconds).

The OBDII adapter's internal power supply will generate some amount of heat, this is normal.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

To fix your OBDII channels you will need to update to the latest 2.11.0 firmware.

Steps:

1. Install the latest RaceCapture/Track 2.11.0 firmware using these instructions:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... e_Firmware

2. After you've verified you have 2.11.0 installed, remove all of your existing OBDII channels, if any are present.

3. In the OBDII channels screen, Ensure OBDII is turned 'on' and add a single channel - RPM is suggested.

4. Write the config back to the unit.

5. Go to the dashboard mode, switch to the Raw Channels view and then start your engine and wait for the RPM signal to appear (it will take several seconds).

The OBDII adapter's internal power supply will generate some amount of heat, this is normal.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
I'm trying to do the update but I'm running into more trouble. First, there's no Racecapture/Track instructions listed in the link you sent, but I tried just figuring it out based on what is there. I downloaded the Racecapture app for windows (I did the Windows 1.10.2 version under teh top section) as the instructions said it had to be flashed from a computer), as well as the 2.11.0 Firmware for the Racecapture/Track. I plugged the racecapture/track into my laptop with the provided USB cable, launched the app and began following the steps listed, but I'm not able to establish a connection with the unit. It just says "Waiting for Connection". There's a flashing green and blue light on the unit once it was plugged into my computer. I've tried unplugging everything multiple times, restarting the app, connecting via the wifi, connecting via wifi and the USB, and connecting just with the USB. I've also unplugged the other cable from the racecapture unit, so just the USB option was plugged in, in hopes that might make it move forward, but so far nothing.

Any thoughts?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

When you plug RaceCapture into your USB port it should show up in Device Manager as a COM port if you're running Windows 10. Earlier than Windows 10, you'll need to install the USB driver for RaceCapture before it will work.

What version of Windows are you on? If prior to Windows, install the drivers first.

How-to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqveE2C1vo0

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... stallation

After driver installation, you should be able to see RaceCapture in Device Manager under COM ports.

Let us know what you find out from the above steps. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

When you plug RaceCapture into your USB port it should show up in Device Manager as a COM port if you're running Windows 10. Earlier than Windows 10, you'll need to install the USB driver for RaceCapture before it will work.

What version of Windows are you on? If prior to Windows, install the drivers first.

How-to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqveE2C1vo0

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... stallation

After driver installation, you should be able to see RaceCapture in Device Manager under COM ports.

Let us know what you find out from the above steps. Thanks!
That did the trick. I updated the firm ware to 2.11.0, removed all of my OBDII channels, added back RPM with the recommended settings, wrote the config back to the unit, went to the raw channels view and started my engine. I did see gyros feeding and battery level but still nothing for RPM. I let teh car idle for a minute or two, then turned it off and restarted to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Our first test car was an E36 (my M3) so it's very curious that it's not working for you.

Can you save your current configuration to a file and attach it here? We can check if there's anything wrong with it.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

brentp wrote:Our first test car was an E36 (my M3) so it's very curious that it's not working for you.

Can you save your current configuration to a file and attach it here? We can check if there's anything wrong with it.

Thanks,
Here you go. Hopefully it's something simple that I'm missing! I had a friend with a scanner tool hook up to my OBD port to be sure the problem isn't there and he was able to see all the normal information flowing, FYI.
Attachments
Racecaputer Configuration 07-02-2017 - JPD.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I checked your configuration and it seems to be OK.

Question, can you try this on a different car (prior to 2008)? Would be good to see as a comparison.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jd318

Post by jd318 »

Sorry for the delay. I checked your configuration and it seems to be OK.

Question, can you try this on a different car (prior to 2008)? Would be good to see as a comparison.
I think we solved the problem. My E36 is a Ti (4 cylinder) that has an S52 swap and the pin locations in my OBD port was different than in an M3. We moved the pins around and now I'm getting RPM.