Firmware 2.11.0 for RaceCapture/Track broken for iOS

Found a hardware issue we should fix, or got a feature request? Post it here.
dewittpayne

Firmware 2.11.0 for RaceCapture/Track broken for iOS

Post by dewittpayne »

With the 2.11.0 firmware installed, I can't see OBD data in iOS version 1.8 using the same settings that worked for 2.10.2. GPS looks fine. I'm going to revert back to 2.10.2

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, sorry about that. It is supposed to be backwards compatible with 1.8.0.

What are you seeing / not seeing when you have the 1.8.0 app running? Could you post a screen shot?

Is it that the OBDII setup screen is not working, or did your OBDII channels disappear from the dashboard?

Note, when we upgrade a Y release (X.Y.Z) the unit is re-set to a factory configuration, and you will need to re-load and re-write your saved configuration.

I don't think we made that clear enough in the announcement blog post, so we'll fix that now:
https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... -released/
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I have to reload 2.11.0 to get screen shots. I'll get to that shortly.

I did reload the configuration after I updated. I even added a wheel speed channel which wasn't available in 2.10.2. I went back to 2.10.2 just to make sure everything still worked. What happens is that the GPS data updates, but the OBD data are all zeros.

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The problem may be that I had more than five OBD channels configured. I'll check. I need to move the fast channels like RPM to CAN anyway.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

How about trying this:

With 2.11.0 loaded, can you configure the OBDII channels using the OSX app? You should be able to get the channels working there, and then 1.8.0 on iOS should show the channels displaying on the dashboard after that.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

What car is this on, by the way? Is there a side-band stream of non-OBDII CAN data being broadcast from the ECU?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

It's a 2011 Mustang GT. As to side-band stream, I dunno.

I've attached a screenshot. It turns out that not all the data is zero. I see battery voltage and, in Harry's Laptimer, fuel level, but it's 173%.

I don't have OSX, but I do have Windows and that's how I configured the channels.
Attachments
RaceCapture Dashboard Screen shot.PNG
RaceCapture Dashboard Screen shot.PNG (69.33 KiB) Viewed 7154 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it. Did you configure the channels in the 1.9.0 windows app?

If so, can you upload your configuration here?

thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I deleted and reloaded all the OBD channels and now it seems to work. The only error is that the coolant temperature appears to be in Centigrade, but it thinks it's Fahrenheit. I think I can fix that.

Now I need to do the CAN mapping.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Ok, good to hear.

You can convert the temperature to Farenheight by going to the last tab of the mapping.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

sirwin71

Post by sirwin71 »

I too have this same issue, most channels not reading, like RPM, TPS etc.

I have 2.11.0 using IOS 1.8, and also tried deleting all of the OBDII channels and just added one back at a time.

I just got racecapture track, so no old configs on 2.10.

I was hoping to use this at the track tomorrow.

Please advice!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

If you must use iOS 1.8, then please fall back to firmware 2.10.2 for now, until we get the latest 1.9.x app on iOS.

Once you fall back to 2.10.2 firmware, you should be able to add your OBDII channels.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

sirwin71

Continued IOS issues, very frustrated

Post by sirwin71 »

Hi,

I am very frustrated and feel I have spent a lot of money for something I can not use.

I have an iphone 7, running app 1.8.

I can use both windows and IOS 1.9 computer programs.

I have a 2015 FRS

Firmware 2.11 I could not get to work at all, had multiple communication issues, and the one time it connected to the car, it did not read much of the OBDII data.

Firmware 2.10.2 seems to work at the interface of the app and the computer program

I can also get the phone and racecapture/track to connect when racecapture/track is connected to the computer.

I can not get racecapture/track and the phone to connect when in the car, whether connected to car or not.

Please help me get this functional or reassure me the updates to firmware and IOS will come soon vs should I get my money back until these issues have been sorted out.

Thanks! This looks awesome and like exactly what I want, if it I can get it to work properly.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the post and the detailed description of your issues.

We're currently working on a new 1.10.1 app release, and working on OSX and iOS builds:
viewtopic.php?t=5434

When we have OSX and iOS builds we'll reply here so you know they're available for testing.

Regarding 2.10.2 vs 2.11.0 firmware: There is an issue where OBDII channels created under 2.10.2 do not work after updating firmware to 2.11.0. The solution is:

* Update to 2.11.0 firmware
Using 1.9.1 or 1.9.0 app:
* Remove all OBDII channel definitions
* Write configuration to unit
* Re-add OBDII channels (RPM, Engine Temp and TPS are suggested starting channels)
* Write the configuration back to unit

With the 2.11.0 firmware this process must be done with the 1.9.x app as it will define the proper OBDII PIDs.

In your case, you'd need to use the 1.9.0 desktop app or an Android device to set these channels. If you use the 1.8.0 app to define the channels you will have OBDII channels that don't work, which might be related to some of the issues you're seeing.

Note, you can still use the 1.8.0 app to connect and view the live dashboard.

While we get the iOS and OSX builds available for the beta release metnioned above, are you able to use or borrow an android device, just for testing / verification of your OBDII channels?

Thank you,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

sirwin71

Post by sirwin71 »

Thanks!

I will give it a try, but still have the connection issues listed. Also, I had thought you had suggested to use the older firmware to get this all to work, which is what I have done, still to no avail. Below it seems you are saying to go back to then new firmware?

I will see about borrowing an android phone.

Thanks again,

Scott

[quote="brentp"]Hi,

Thanks for the post and the detailed description of your issues.

We're currently working on a new 1.10.1 app release, and working on OSX and iOS builds:
viewtopic.php?t=5434

When we have OSX and iOS builds we'll reply here so you know they're available for testing.

Regarding 2.10.2 vs 2.11.0 firmware: There is an issue where OBDII channels created under 2.10.2 do not work after updating firmware to 2.11.0. The solution is:

* Update to 2.11.0 firmware
Using 1.9.1 or 1.9.0 app:
* Remove all OBDII channel definitions
* Write configuration to unit
* Re-add OBDII channels (RPM, Engine Temp and TPS are suggested starting channels)
* Write the configuration back to unit

With the 2.11.0 firmware this process must be done with the 1.9.x app as it will define the proper OBDII PIDs.

In your case, you'd need to use the 1.9.0 desktop app or an Android device to set these channels. If you use the 1.8.0 app to define the channels you will have OBDII channels that don't work, which might be related to some of the issues you're seeing.

Note, you can still use the 1.8.0 app to connect and view the live dashboard.

While we get the iOS and OSX builds available for the beta release metnioned above, are you able to use or borrow an android device, just for testing / verification of your OBDII channels?

Thank you,[/quote]