Flickering TPS and RPM data/gauges for E46 Setup

Found a hardware issue we should fix, or got a feature request? Post it here.
STAATS

Flickering TPS and RPM data/gauges for E46 Setup

Post by STAATS »

I have just installed my RaceCapture/Track Mk2 unit Firmware 2.15.1 (I think, I will confirm when I try link the video later) into my E46 M3 using the E46 integration cable and I am noticing that the TPS and RPM data just flickers. like it flickers between 0 and the actual reading really quickly so its impossible to read the gauges nicely... on the other hand Battery Voltage, Fuel Level, Coolant and Oil temp and Steering angle all seem to hold steady and just feed to correct data value without any issues. I took a video of it doing this but I am waiting for it to upload ( I will post a link to the video once I get it up and get a shareable link)

Has anybody else had this issue / have a solution for it? Do I need to apply some kind of data smoothing or is it trying to read the data on the stream at a higher Hz then the data is transmitted? I am just running the standard E46 CAN Map setting provided by ASL when setting up the device... no custom changes or mods to the settings or any Lua scripting yet...

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

Here is the video of the issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/imk1sK5UnsnKzh6J9

I should have moved the steering wheel to show it comes through steady with no latency but you can kinda see with the Battery voltage... whereas you can clearly see the RPM flicking in and out... the TPS does the exact same...

Also confirmed that I am on Firmware 2.15.1

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

Anyone? I really need to get this sorted before I hit the track next month as the data is useless to me at the moment with this flickering... I am relying on a BT dongle and Torque Pro still...

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

I just played around with it and set the TPS to a refresh rate of 25Hz up from the standard CAN map of 10Hz and that seemed to clear up the TPS flickering... haven't turned the car on to check the RPM yet but will report back so there is a win of sorts...

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

Yep 25Hz on the RPM channel fixed that issue as well

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it figured out. Yes, 25Hz is a better default sample rate.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter