RaceCapture/Track bricked after firmware update

Found a hardware issue we should fix, or got a feature request? Post it here.
325c2

RaceCapture/Track bricked after firmware update

Post by 325c2 »

I tried to update my RaceCapture/Track to the latest (2.16.0) firmware, when the progress hit 100% a bootloader warning popped up, and that seems to be all she wrote.
No connection, no LEDs, nothing at this point.

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

Interested to see the outcome of this as i was just about to upgrade so that I could finally hardwire the RCT Mk2 to my Avant-3 HU instead of relying on BT which is super unreliable on the AVIN HU... thats a HU problem not a ASL problem just to be clear haha

Hope its not bricked mate, thats pretty disheartening.

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

Any update on this? Was there a solution? Did ASL help you fix it or provide a replacement?

I need to do this firmware update soon and then wire in the USB...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sometimes we see a failed firmware upgrade because a customer accidentally flashed the firmware from a different product.

What happens in this case is the firmware will fail to run, and then the unit is left in bootloader mode (fast green flash). In this case, you can go into the app / Setup, load an existing config, and access the firmware upgrade screen to re-flash the correct firmware.

The overall design of the bootloader of the system basically makes the system "un-brickable". We've never had to fix a firmware issue (yet) - all issues have eventually been resolved by the customer.

Also, in the latest app we have put in some safe guards in the firmware update process that detects accidentally flashing the wrong firmware.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also, if you do not see the flashing LED, there's a way to force bootloader mode. You will need to open the case and bridge the Action button pads when powering up. This is the equivalent of holding the button down on RaceCapture/Pro - which forces bootloader mode on power up.

If you need help on this, we will document it.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter