Feature Request: Dump a Human Readable View of Settings

Found a bug or got a feature request? Post it here.
BigLobsterDude

Feature Request: Dump a Human Readable View of Settings

Post by BigLobsterDude »

It would be helpful for documentation and troubleshooting purposes to be able to dump a human readable version of the Race Capture Pro system configuration and RCP App settings.

Possible approaches:
- An ASCII text file written to the SD card would be ideal. Could be invoked from GUI or RCP shell cmd line.
- Standalone conversion script on PC (reads configuration file and writes ASCII file)
- Copy/paste data from RCP log window (not great, but better than nothing).

Being able to also write the current LUA script onto the SD card would also make documenting the script easier and less error prone.

This is not for backup purposes but to record and easily review each and every setting without the hassle and risk of stepping through all of the setup menus and alert configurations.

Thx!

John Robertson
Schumacher Taxi #189 Racing

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. The JSON configuration file is fairly human readable - the data is stored hierarchically and uses fairly plain labels for things. See if you can open it in a text editor and make sense of it.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

BigLobsterDude

Post by BigLobsterDude »

Brent

Thanks - this is perfect for my purposes.

For some reason I had thought the .RCP configuration file was binary. If I'd actually bothered to look I would have have been real obvious it was JSON notation. :oops:

Possibly useful FYI for others who might be interested. Using a smart editor (like NotePad++ with the Language/JSON option and View menus) makes examining the hierarchical settings easy.
John
Schumacher Taxi #189

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Fantastic, glad that will work for you.

Nope, not our philosophy to make things hard to understand, especially with file formats. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter