App and Firmware upgade - tons of issues

Found a bug or got a feature request? Post it here.
mav9896

App and Firmware upgade - tons of issues

Post by mav9896 »

OK, so I have a Racecapture Track 1 and decided to update the firmware and also install the new apps on my Windows Laptop as well as my Iphone and Android phone to test. I had a pretty decent setup for a couple years that worked and I was a little hesitant to jump into this new app and firmware.

So I update the firmware using my windows laptop with usb cable to the device. Firmware updated OK (from 2.17.4 to 2.18.4).
Then I updated the Windows laptop app to 2.1.24 from 1.12.0. That worked fine.

I then designed 2 new Dashboards and saved them (I assume on Podium).
All is working fine when device is connected to the laptop with usb cable (and laptop connected to Wifi).

I then updated the Iphone app to the latest version, and was able to connect to the device and read the config, however I am not seeing the new Dashboards I just designed. They are not showing up on the Iphone. I then tried this on the Android phone (updated the App) and connected to the device. Again, no new dashboards. I've also tried on a brand new Samsung (update app then connect to the device). I was not even able to connect to the device. Also, when I power up the device from a wall power unit (not the laptop usb cable), and try to connect the laptop wifi to the device, it just freezes looking for COM6... I am also constantly asked to login to Podium when the app runs on the Iphone or Android, or there is some type or error saying not connected to Podium.

WTH? My question here is: I assume that now you are supposed to connect to Podium to get the new dashboards to load? For every new connected Phone or Tablet? Are then new dashboards not loaded locally on the device or the phone or tablet itself? If so, how can that work when the app is looking for Podium on the same Wifi connection as it is already using to connect to the device? Why does the app not use the Cellular connection for Podium?

Bruce

Jetsmini

Re: App and Firmware upgade - tons of issues

Post by Jetsmini »

I’m having a lot of problems as well. For one nothing is optimized on iPhone to work. Plus now I cannot analyze at my logs that I take when not connected to a track like before. I’m assuming that I can only use this for track now? Or making a pre-made Autocross track. Everything works better on my android devices. But still not being able to analyze my logs now is a real bummer.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The initial 2.1.24 version of the RaceCapture app had layout problems in landscape mode for the setup pages, and the device was also fixed to landscape- making the setup pages impossible to view.

Since then, the 2.1.25 release for iOS (available now) has been made which allows you to rotate your phone to portrait mode so you can access the setup pages. There is still an issue on some iOS devices where the app does not entirely fill the screen; we're working on that for the next version, due out soon.

To access dashboards you have created on one machine (like your desktop) on your mobile device, you need to be logged into Podium. This requires an internet connection on your mobile device.

Please note that when you are connected to RaceCapture's WiFi network, this temporarily cuts off your internet connection, because Android and iOS tries to use the current WiFi connection to access the internet. RaceCapture does not have a connection to the internet (obviously) so you will need to temporarily disconnect from RaceCapture's WiFi and then you can access the internet that way, connect to Podium, and download your dashboard.

On Android, this is easier - you can instead connect to RaceCapture via Bluetooth; this allows your Android device to maintain a connection to the internet via WiFi or it's built-in cellular connection.

For iOS, you will need to temporarily disconnect from RaceCapture's WiFi network to download your dashboard.

Be sure to watch the guide here on how dashboards are designed on one computer and then loaded onto another device:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhLfffkybA

Thanks, and I hope this helps clarify things - please follow up with any other questions.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mav9896

Post by mav9896 »

OK. Still some questions.
First, I don't see any way to connect to RC MK1 using Bluetooth.
Second, so once connected to Podium and add a dashboard from my account, is that a one time event? Or will I have to do that every time I use RC MK1 with that device? Do I then have to "Write" this to RC then? Or is this now permanently on the device? Do I need to do that for all devices I use?
Third, if I use the Client mode on RC to connect to my IPhone Hotspot, do I still need to enable the reverse mode as well or just that Client mode connection will allow the wireless data transmission from RC to IPhone over Wifi as well as App to use cell connection to connect and download Dashboards from Podium? I don't really need to broadcast telemetry. Would that not eliminate the need to disconnect from RC to connect to Podium and download dashboard?
Fourth, can I use standard Wifi connection to my larger Android Tablet and then enable Client mode to connect to my cellular hotspot on another device (IPhone)?

Thanks

mav9896

Post by mav9896 »

Went out and tried downloading a dashboard.
So yeah, had to disconnect Wifi to RC then reconnect after the download.
I have another issue now. OBDII data is not updating. Never an issue before, like RPM and engine temp.
Tried a bunch of different things, deleting and recreating the channels etc...
Nothing. All my Canbus data is showing, but not my OBDII channels.
Man, always something with RC. And that is why I should have stayed with the previous setup...
You mention a new app version, I didn't see any new version in App Store.
So I guess for now I'll just use the Canbus and GPS data.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Glad you figured out the wifi situation!

The latest app pushed to the app stores is 2.1.26.

For the OBDII channels, try this:

* Go to setup and perform a factory reset
* When it connects, go to OBDII and select the essential OBDII channels preset.
* Make sure the OBDII channels switch is turned 'on' after loading the preset.
* Write the settings, and then power cycle.

See if you have OBDII data after that procedure.

Thanks for your patience :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Also -
First, I don't see any way to connect to RC MK1 using Bluetooth.
The RaceCapture/Track MK1 does not have a bluetooth interface, it only has WiFi and USB.

We have Bluetooth in our other products, but iOS is not compatible with it.

Android has the option to connect with a USB cable, called USB-OTG. You could get an inexpensive Fire 8 HD or Fire 10 and connect to it using USB-OTG or WiFi.

The USB-OTG option is good if you're doing a track day where you can use it within the battery life period of the device (The USB-OTG standard does not support charging while connected).

This has the side benefit of allowing you to be connected to the internet the entire time.

Here's an example of a USB-OTG cable that can work with Android devices, like the Fire tablet: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-S ... ref=sr_1_4

Hope this helps!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

2.1.27 is available on the app store with fixes for saving presets on iOS, and the multi-channel select issue.

<pre>
=2.1.27==
* Fix failure to save preset on iOS
* Fix label font sizing for lap delta gauge
* Fix channel selection of multi channel gauge
</pre>

mav9896

Post by mav9896 »

Brent,

With RC1, can I use both WiFi Client and Access Point?
Could I not then WiFi tablet to RC1 then use the RC1 Client to my IPhone for Internet access?
Or does the tablet running RaceCapture need to see the internet?

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Tablet needs to see the internet.

Therefore, using a common hotspot is the best way to do it. Configure RC/T 's wifi client to connect to the common hotspot, and your tablet can connect to the same hotspot.

The tablet will be able to talk to RC/T, and also connect to the internet.

This was always the case, even with the old firmware.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mav9896

Post by mav9896 »

brentp wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:55 am Hi,

Glad you figured out the wifi situation!

The latest app pushed to the app stores is 2.1.26.

For the OBDII channels, try this:

* Go to setup and perform a factory reset
* When it connects, go to OBDII and select the essential OBDII channels preset.
* Make sure the OBDII channels switch is turned 'on' after loading the preset.
* Write the settings, and then power cycle.

See if you have OBDII data after that procedure.

Thanks for your patience :)
OK Brent, last season, I just didn't have the patience to deal with the OBDII problem.
However I've been working to resolve this issue for 2 days now, with no success.
First, I updated the firmware of my MK1 to 2.19.0, then I updated the RC App on all my devices to the latest 2.4.0 on my laptop and my IOS phone.
Getting a ton of little problems:

1. Can not Login to Podium from my IOS. Login and password are correct as I use those to login on the Podium website.
2. Getting an error trying to Write after making changes. The error is: Error trying to write... Timeout waiting for :s/ something CFG... And now, it won't replicate that fault, so it is intermittent. What I found was anytime I am on a differetn screen thatn the original SETUP screen, and I click Write, it fails...
3. Most annoying still, can not get OBDII data to work. This used to work just fine last year and the one before. I performed the Factory Reset you recommended to no avail. I even tried connecting directly to the OBDII port to the RC Track MK1. Still nothing. Tried a couple different cables, still no OBDII data.

I'll be on the track this Saturday. I guess I won't use RC until this can be resolved.

My setup is using CANBus 1 to bring in AnalogX Thermocuple channels (4) on an RJ45 cable, then another RJ45 cable from the OBDII port of the car (2002 Porsche Boxster), and I use a 2:1 RJ45 splitter to connect to the RC Track device. Was working all the way to Oct 2021. Then I updated the firmware and App and issues started then.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

1. We will check login from iOS on 2.4.0
2. Does this ever happen when connected over USB on your desktop? What about after a factory reset, with a bone stock configuration?
3. There could be a hardware connection problem between the cable and the unit. Have you tried a different 2008+ vehicle?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mav9896

Post by mav9896 »

For #3, I tried connecting directly in my 2016 BMW X1 (OBDII adapter to RJ45 cable to RC Track MK1.
Unit powers up and shows Wifi connection but App will not connect... says searching 192.168.4.1... tried multiple things.
I looked at the pins of the adapter and unit and that ll looks good, no bent pins or anything.

For #2, not sure I understand, since I can not connect the device to my laptop and to the OBDII port at the same time? Or are you saying I should try to using the laptop instead of the IOS phone on Wifi?
Otherwise, I would not be able to see the realtime OBDII data without connection to a car.

For #1, when I did the factory reset, it still had the latest app config. So you want me to do what? Do a Brand new connection setup?

mav9896

Post by mav9896 »

Brent,

I looked closely at all connectors, pins, cleaned them with electronic cleaner.
Everything looks good on the RC MK1, OBD legacy connector, and the cables.

I loaded the old Firmware I know was working, as well as the RC App on Windows laptop.
All connects correctly, but when I try to perform a First Time setup, it gives me an error when it tries to load the OBD presets...
I even bypassed my setup and connected directly from OBD to RC MK1.
To prove the car's OBD port is working, I used a Wifi dongle with Harry's Lap timer and I am able to see OBD PIDs realtime.

I have come to the conclusion that the issue must lie with a failure within the RC Track MK1 device itself.

If I upgrade to the latest RC Track, what are the added functionalities? Are there more than 1 Canbus channels so I can add Canbus lights or something else?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Apologies for the late reply.

The latest RaceCapture/track MK3 offers a hugely improved GPS (GNSS) receiver, a 2nd CAN bus channel, a much more rugged enclosure, and uses our new plug and play connector system. You can learn about it here: https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/r ... ry-system/

However, your system should work on the latest app and 2.19.0 firmware. When connecting to your laptop, you can connect with the included USB cable, and also be connected to OBDII at the same time.

Let us know what you find out there.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter