Raspberry Pi 2.2.1 app freezes

Found a bug or got a feature request? Post it here.
GTIspirit

Raspberry Pi 2.2.1 app freezes

Post by GTIspirit »

The Raspberry Pi 2.2.1 app rather frequently freezes when in dashboard mode. The dashboard stops updating until I exit the app which reboots it. This is using the latest Raspberry Pi 2.2.1 app, with Raspberry Pi 4 and official touchscreen, hard wired to the RC Track Mk 2 which is running latest 2.18.4 firmware.

Where should I look for the logs to provide for troubleshooting?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi 2.2.1 app freezes

Post by brentp »

Some ideas:

* Look at the RaceCapture application log around the time it fails
* Check the RaceCapture/Pro for any red LED errors on the front panel when it happens.
* Try a factory reset and default firmware configuration, as a comparison - this may help isolate issues
* Check the voltage being fed to the RaceCapture from the Pi over USB - ensure the voltage is not higher than 5v.

Thanks, Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Where is the application log file saved?

If I SSH into the Raspberry Pi, where do I find this file?

Seems to be two different kinds of freezing going on.
1. dashboard freezes in the middle of driving. This happens intermittently at various intervals.
2. app freezes when entering Setup -> Race Tracks -> modify Start and Finish GPS coordinates for autoX mode. The app freezes every single time I do this. :x

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Is the log file the racecapture.log and racecapture.log_last under /home/pi ?

If so, attached are the log files.
Attachments
racecapture.log.zip
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the logs that would indicate an error.

This is not a problem that has been commonly reported; in fact, I believe yours is the only one.

Therefore, I would double check the power supply stability and connectivity between RaceCapture and the Pi, and the overall installation.

You could also perform a re-installation of the software clean to see if that helps things.

If you find any more information that can help us reproduce it, just let us know here.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

Maybe "freezes" isn't the best word. Could be unresponsive, or even slow. I've noticed a few times when trying to edit the autoX start/finish GPS positions that the app becomes unresponsive, and then comes back after a few minutes.

No, I don't believe I'm the only one. A short search in the rc-app-v2-discussion channel on Discord for "unresponsive" yields similar comments by LIGISTX, paulmonaghan and AlReuben. Searching for "slow" and "freeze" also yields a few hits. This seems like either a problem with the RPi4, or the new version of the app. Can't really tell because the new version of the app is not compatible with the RPi3, right?

I'd have to re-connect my RPi3 running the older version of the app to check back to back. But what's the point in that, as neither are the currently supported version....

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you can narrow down specific scenarios where it does slow down significantly, with reproduction steps, that can help trace it down for us.

2.3.0 app will be out with improvements to some parts of the app, specifically the CAN and OBDII mappings setup pages. We're always including various fixes with each release, along with new features.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

GTIspirit

Post by GTIspirit »

The situation where it was slow/unresponsive/froze was when editing the GPS coordinates for autoX start/finish points under the RaceTracks menu.

It seems a little better now with the 2.3.0 version.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update; let us know if you still see problems in various places of the app, and if you do, specific repro steps would be extra helpful to allow us to fix it!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter