Can't connect to Jolt with Vista

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mini-geek

Can't connect to Jolt with Vista

Post by mini-geek »

I'm having problems conecting to the ECU with my computer.... the ECU works fine and conects to my friend's computer (Gilesy998) fine and has been mapped using that with the same lead I am using.

The things that are diffrent are that he uses a USB to serial conector and I'm (because I'm using Vista) using an RS232 Expresscard

I'm not too smart on computers so I'm stumped

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The software should work fine with Vista- we're also using Vista for developing the software.

A few things to try:

1. As a test, can you use the same usb-serial adapter Gilesy998 is already using successfully?
2. Ensure the COM setting in the Configuration software matches what is defined for the COM port on your computer. You can verify this using Device Manager in windows.

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mini-geek

Post by mini-geek »

I tried the USB-serial adapted Gilesy uses only it didn't work, we belive it's because the lead will not work with Vista so I bought the expresscard RS232. I belive this is a more reliable way of conecting to Vista but like I say still not working.

The com port on the card is COM6 and I set the software to COM6 and the BPS is 4800

I have re down loaded the software so I will try it again tonight and up date you on it

mini-geek

Post by mini-geek »

ok second update..... I have re loaded the sofware and still not connecting. At the bottom of the screen comes up someting like incorect cylinder count.

one thing that also poped up was that the incorect firmware was instaled could this be the problem?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Are you running a V3 or V4 controller? Make sure you're running the config software corresponding to the controller you're running. They are grouped together in the downloads section.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mini-geek

Post by mini-geek »

jut cheked and I am running a V4 with V4 software.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Apologies for the late follow-up. If you let us know the brand/model number of the expresscard adapter you're using, we may be able to take a look at it first hand- that's the best we can do to characterize if there's really a compatibility problem with that adapter, or if something else is going on.

In the meantime, we recommend finding a USB-Serial adapter compatible with Vista, preferably based on the FTDI or Prolific chipset. We have a bit of information here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/USB-serial_adapters

Let us know how it works out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

We've tried using my Prolific serial adapter to no avail. I do have another of a different brand, but I'm 99% sure they're both prolific. The controller's a brand new V4 so I assume firmware V4.0.2, and the configuration software definately is .2 :?
We'll have to have another poke around when you get beck from the weekend mate.

mini-geek

Post by mini-geek »

I have bought a new USB to serial convertor from Maplin that is compatibal with Vista but still not working. I just keep getting the message of 'Time out cylinder count'

I have set the COM ports to the corrrect ones too I just don't understand why it won't work....

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Just as a troubleshooting technique, could you try starting windows in 'safe mode' and then run the software? Safe Mode only loads the basic, essential components of the operating system. If there is something in the background interfering with normal operation, 'Safe Mode' may direct us towards the solution.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Window ... 11033.mspx

Thanks for hanging in there with this unusual problem!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mini-geek

Post by mini-geek »

I started the computer in safe mode... But still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We probably should've done this earlier, but do try the troubleshooting steps using HyperTerminal, here:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/Troublesho ... erterminal

Since you're running vista you probably don't have HyperTerminal installed by default. If necessary, you can download the trial version from their website here:
http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PeteS

Unable to connect to MegajoltLight

Post by PeteS »

I am having the same trouble using Vista to connect to my newly assembled Megajolt Lite Jr V4 (MAP Kit) (V4). I am getting the same error message about cylinder count. I do not have access to a computer with a standard RS232 port and so have used a Prolific USB to serial converter. I have tried a few things - voltages are correct, all joints seem good, diodes are ok. I can connect using Hyperterminal and get the expected responses. I have downloaded the firmware update software and this appears to work as detailed in the documentation. So I was hoping this site would give me an avenue to pursue. Any suggestions much appreciated. Can anyone confirm that the serial bit rate is 38400?
PeteS
Alfa 1750 GTV 1969

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Pete,

Can you list the exact model / part number of the adapter you're using? We'd like to test with it if possible. I'm assuming you have the COM port configured in the software correctly?

Thank you for your testing- if there's any way you can beg/borrow/steal a different computer for testing, just as a temporary measure, that would be helpful as well.

Also- the baud rate for the V4 controller is indeed 38,400 - but the software configures this on it's own so you don't need to set this in Devi ce Manager.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

PeteS

Post by PeteS »

I am confident that I have configured the com port correctly as I get a 'could not open port' error message if the port number doesn't match.

The USB to RS232 serial cable doesn't have a part number stamped on it - it does have a sticker with N816 printed on it but that's it. It looks very similar to one of the cables on the site. The driver CD has two installers - a "PL-2303 driver Installer Prolific Technology Inc" and "PL- 2303 Vista Driver Installer setup.exe Macrovision Corporation". Both of the files were created in May of 2008.

I will try to get access to a standard RS232 port to see if this works.
PeteS
Alfa 1750 GTV 1969