A simple Megajolt "diag light" indicator

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

alhbln

A simple Megajolt "diag light" indicator

Post by alhbln »

I wanted to have some kind of unobstrusive diag light for my 240Z installation to check if the Megajolt is still working or if am running in limp home mode. What i did was to install a retro style bulb signal light indicator, wired to user out 1, in the 240Z's air condition switch housing (the air condition is long gone, but the "cool" and "hot" switch now selects the profiles) and then configured the user output to activate when RPM is below 700.

Now when i switch the ignition on, the signal light will glow in a friendly green, telling me that the Megajolt has woken up and is running. As soon as the engine has started, the light switches off, indicating that the Megajolt is functional and receives PIP :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Very nice! Let us know if you ever see a fault condition. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

A nice solutions *sticks it on the project list*

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

That is a cool Idea!!!! If my car goes in to limp mode it is slower than a Yugo. .. or an 1983 diesel rabbit. It would be nice to know before I pull out of the driveway!!! I like it.
Respectfully

Dean

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

As before, please report back if *it ever* comes on :D
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

alhbln

Post by alhbln »

My Megajolt installation has been finished last week, and the 240Z started at once on the very first test - nice product, thanks Brent! :) I had no time to post an installation report yet but will do as soon as i have visited the rolling road.

When running the car with the Megajolt disconnected to force limp mode it works as expected, the diag light stays on. I'll get back should i ever have a real failure ;) This is not really a must have mod but then again i like having a diag light.

Diag light on while ignition is on: MJ ok and ready to rock
Diag light off while ignition is on: MJ defunct or no power to the MJ
Diag light on while driving: MJ does not receive a signal from the EDIS controller
Diag light off while driving: MJ running as intended

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

nice idea... but if you use the "tach out" on the MJLJ, the tell tale that the unit isn't working is that the rev counter simply stops working... if engine still running then it's in limp home mode on the EDIS.

alhbln

Post by alhbln »

Correct, if you wire the tach via the MJ tach output, no tach activity is a good indicator that you are probably in limp mode.