plug wire cylinder# question

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

edgecrusher

plug wire cylinder# question

Post by edgecrusher »

So far I think I have had great success installing my ignition in my 1600 dual port VW dune buggy. However, at first I had problems with all the cylinders firing and in switching around plug wires found that the #1 and #2 cylinders fired better when switched on the coil pack so #1 cylinder is on the #2 post and vice versa for the other. This got all the cylinders firing. Yet at the moment I am experiencing some backfiring and a consistent stall when the tranny is in reverse and the throttle is only slowly applied proportionately to clutch action. Engine load according to my map goes up towards 100kpa and rpms under 900. Racing the engine then letting the clutch out helps, but I don't feel that should be necessary to just get moving. I've tried adjusting timing in this area first up then down with better luck going down a bit. It's a bit better with my latest map but I'm kinda wondering if it's possible this has something to do with my plug wire order and maybe a misunderstanding I'm having in that area. I still haven't figured out why those cylinders need to be switched around. I remember hearing people talking about even firing orders and odd but never a clear explanation or whether this is related either. At the same time I also suspect my carburation could be partly to blame. I'm still researching exactly how this tuning process is supposed to be done and I'm sure I'm prolly wasting a bunch of time, but this is my first time and it's fun! So if anybody has any ideas or suggestions while I look for more answers let it rip! I'll also figure out how to post my current map.

edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

As I start to think, maybe I need to take a better look at my vr mounting it does not line up with the wheel real well. Also my plug wires for the right cylinders are stretched over the generator brush access hole pretty tite to reach my coil which is prolly bad so some longer wires are in order.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (65.34 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

BRUCEROE

Post by BRUCEROE »

Is the shielded wire working out? Bruce Roe

edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

Great. I forgot to thank you very much. So many projects so little time! But very appreciated for going outa your way to help a stranger.