Unable to connect to Megajolt

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Tocca

Unable to connect to Megajolt

Post by Tocca »

I am unable to connect to my megajolt unit using my laptop. Spec is as follows: Laptop using Windows 7, Prolific USB to Serial Adapater with Latest Drivers. Megajolt is working as the green light is on! I have put it on the basic wiring system on the EDIS setup on a 2.0 Zetec at the moment but everytime i try to connect using the software 4.0.2 it times out? Ive made sure they are on the same com ports etc but it on the same com port? Any ideas?

Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Anyone?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry for the late repsonse. Have you determined exactly what com port the Prolific USB->Serial adapter is on? often they get assigned a high COM port number.

This part of the operation guide should help configure your system:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... erial_Port

Another thing: You indicated the Megajolt is connected to your engine running EDIS, etc- Can you verify the ignition advance varies with RPM while the engine is running? This would indicate the Megajolt is basically 'alive'. You can verify this using a timing light.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Hi Brent. Ill check tomorrow with the timing light to see if it differs when i plug megajolt in. Part of me thinks it is as it runs a little worse with it plugged in. But like i say i will check. I have made sure the com ports are the same. Ive even changed it manually and set both to 6 and still nothing. If i set the wrong it just says it cant connect. Once they are on the same com port i get a time out error! Should note i bought the complete kit from trigger wheels all built up with the connecting wires supplied in the box :)

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Chances are that it'll work perfectly when connected to a real serial port. If that is the case then we'd have to suspect that it is in some way related to the USB adaptor. Did you install the drivers that came with the adaptor? If the adaptor does look like it is the issue then pop it in the post to us and we can check it out for you.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Hi mate, yea installed the drivers and even downloaded the updated ones. Gonna see if i can borrow a laptop witha serial port and will report back

Tocca

Post by Tocca »

Thought id update it for you. Took a complete desktop computer over the garage, connected it up via Serial port and worked straight away. Slightly annoying so think im gonna buy a cheap old laptop just to plug into megajolt

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you verified the unit worked. It should work correctly with USB->Serial adapters- but there's so much there that's out of our control (drivers, chipsets, adapter construction, etc etc). You may want to try a different brand adapter as a test.

Thanks for persisting!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter