Melting the EDIS coil

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

WhatDidIDoWrong

Melting the EDIS coil

Post by WhatDidIDoWrong »

I've had issues with the coil going bad twice now. I'm not really sure what is causing this. The car starts and runs fine, I'm able to plug in and reprogram it, but a few times it's popped the 15A fuse after either sending a new map to the MJ or once after a short drive. Both times it was the same coil, the driver's side 1/4 coil which was very hot, the other coil felt fine. Plug wires measured 6.25-10.2k Ohms, plugs are brand new.

What is causing this?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

That's a first with this problem- it could be the coil is being over-driven by the EDIS module. Have you replaced one coil already? So, same problem twice in a row?

You may want to replace the EDIS module with a different one. Also, you may want to check your car's 12v system to see if the alternator is pushing too much voltage into the system; it should be about 13 - 14.5 volts nominal, with engine running.

keep us posted on what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

WhatDidIDoWrong

I did try replacing the module (well, I had to) after the first coil burned out.

I measured the output and it's a steady 13.00V with the engine cold, as I rev it and it warms up to 13.15V (took it up to about 3,000rpm). The voltage is steady. I measured on a digital and analog meter to make sure it didn't jump around. I measured the amperage as well at the fuse on that circuit and it was 3.42amps solid.

WhatDidIDoWrong

No reply??? What the heck? I've been pulling my hair out on this and I'm getting no help.

I tried spacing the coilpack off of the fan shroud to give some air space on the backside of the coilpack like Ford does and guess what, melted another coil last night (the same side 4/1 coil). I'm about to give up on this whole thing.

:roll:

Not Anumber

Post by Not Anumber »

It would be interestinbg to know what the cause was. it's unusual for coilpacks to go wrong, unheard of for 3x coilpacks to go bang one after another.

bmcdaniel

Post by bmcdaniel »

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what they look like?