Limp home running at 5 BTDC

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

jamesbekman

Limp home running at 5 BTDC

Post by jamesbekman »

Hi,

I have the EDIS system running my MGB by itself in limp home mode. When I hit it with a standard timing light it is reading at 5 BTDC instead of 10 BTDC.

With that said I just have to adjust for that in the Mega Jolt software as +5 corect? Not -5?

Thanks!

Hoping to get the MegaJolt running soooooooooon!

Oh Also has anyone had success going from the phone jack on the v4 unit into the phone jack on a laptop? I know the com # for it... Just dont have my external power source to power up the megajolt with me at the moment. Is a 9V battery suffice enough to power up the unit for a bench test?

Thank you,

James

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

You would want +5 degrees more advance in the software.

For the phone connection on your laptop- this is a *modem* connection, not a serial port. Completely different things. You will want to use the serial to DB9 adapter cable to either plug into an existing DB9 serial port on your laptop, or use a USB to serial adapter in case you don't have a built in serial port available.

See the operation guide for more information on setting this up:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

Thanks.

Got everything up and running with a usb serial adapter that I got at work. Also made a 12v+ power supply at work from a hard drive power block that we had extra of at work so I can bench test. Working good so far.

Now onto the next step... Fun stuff... Im sure Ill be doing some more searches on here... LOL

Thanks for your help and thanks for a great product.

-James

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

Just was able to successfully flash the mega jolt, power cycle and then have the same ignition map load up with the timing correction of +5 as well. Very happy. Next up, wait for a sunny day and plug in my saw and pip ! Excited... Will finally be able to get my carbs tuned up perfect knowing I have the standard 2D MGB Map loaded up that someone kindly posted. Then obviously tune from there.

Thanks again.

James

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Awesome to hear James! thanks for the follow up. We'd love to see some pics in the "Powered by" section of the website too :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

Definitely will. Hopefully I can take some video too and post on youtube.

Going to have to clean up the wiring and run some extensions first... Want to make it all pretty for your site... Edis wires are a little bit of a birds nest...

-James

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

I posted this in the Q&A section as well Brentp with a little more detail.

Everything is up and running and the megajolt is communicating with the laptop while running now.

The problem is that the software is stating its running 20BTDC but when hit with a regular timing light it is still reading 5BTDC.

What can I trace down to be the culprit?

Thanks for your help,

James

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Sounds to me like the megajolt is receiving the PIP signal from the EDIS but the SAW signal is not getting from the megajolt to the EDIS.

Investigating the SAW signal iswould be the start for me.

Hope this helps
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

jamesbekman

Post by jamesbekman »

Hi Everyone,

So I got a chance to check the wiring. It ended up being the molex connection with the megajolt unit for the saw signal. Everything is up and running fine now. I ran new leads with the molex connectors and just have them each plugged in individually to insure a good connection and everything worked fine. Hit it with a timing light and it corresponded to what the megajolt was sending out. Ran great! Just have to tune the carbs and im set.

Thanks !

James

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Awesome!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter