Megajolt knackered

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

haz87

Megajolt knackered

Post by haz87 »

Hi guys n gals.

Megajolt is fried in some way.

Has power (LED illuminates) however the unit won't talk with my laptop at all. Have tried an alternative unit and it talks fine (so i know its not my laptop/serial adapter etc thats gone up the creek).
This unit was working fine up until the other night when i moved some wiring about so i imagine i shorted something out and this blew something in the MJ (my fault for not disconnecting i know!).

Any ideas as to what i could have messed up and more importantly is it fixable with a soldering iron?

Mega help please :D

Edit: To add, its a MAP version running a hard cut limiter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having problems! Does the Megajolt seem to control ignition timing correctly or is it stuck at the EDIS default timing of 10 degrees?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

haz87

Post by haz87 »

Hi Brent. Appreciate the reply.

No the MJ is doing absolutely nothing other than lighting up its LED. Edis is running the car - tested with a timing light (strangely the wiring was still wired up for the Hardcut limited MJ tho so power was clearly getting around the circuit).

This morning i have removed the HC board and re-wired so that the car *should* run off the MJ, however the fault remains. At least this has proven that my issue lies with the actual MJ mainboard and the HC board isn't causing any of the issues - i was hoping it was as its the cheaper of the two to replace :lol:

I have also tested the spare unit with the HC and without and in both cases the spare unit worked perfectly (verified on laptop and via timing light).

I was wondering if there were any tests i could perform on the board with a fairly simple multimeter. All solder joints look good and nothing is visibly damaged.

Cheers!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

What is the HC board? Can you describe what you did when you moved the wiring about?

Also, we can take a look at the unit for you if you'd like. email us at [email protected].
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

haz87

Post by haz87 »

HC = Hard cut additional board

When i swapped the wiring i simply changed the coil live (to a 12v rather than it running on the correct pin and through the HC) just like your supposed to.
This unit worked perfectly before i was tidying up some wiring n clearly shorted something. The only thing that comes to mind is the wiring from pin 2 of edis (unused i know) caught pin 1 (pip iirc) n did spark. Obviously didnt hurt the EDIS but could this have done the damage to the MJ?

haz87

Post by haz87 »

Also I'm UK so I'm guessing you can't take a look?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Got it, thanks.

Sparks? Not necessarily bad but not good either. If there was enough voltage and current to generate a spark then it could've either damaged the megajolt or the EDIS module. Even though the EDIS is running the engine it's possible that it was partially damaged. And quite possibly not damaged at all.

Just saying it cautiously since I didn't see it first-hand. It all depends on which wire, which way the electricity was trying to flow, etc.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

haz87

Post by haz87 »

Engine running (stupid i know - was hunting another non mj related issue) the exposed end of Pin 2's wiring touched the exposed solder joint on Pin 1 and yes like i say, sparked. Enough for me to see it as see a small amount of smoke came off it (literally a second before i knocked it off but enough to know that damage could have occured).
Edis couldnt have suffered as the spare unit runs/sees everything fine. I know its the MJ main board.

I don't understand electricals/diagrams enough to know what this could have damaged on the board and most importantly how to test the board components. Im certainly confident enough to try given some guidance tho :D

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

When you say pin 1 and pin 2 - do you mean the EDIS module itself? or something else?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

haz87

Post by haz87 »

Sorry yes, EDIS pin 1 (PIP?) and pin 2 (diagnostic)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

And the megajolt was connected to the PIP line at this time?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

haz87

Post by haz87 »

Yes the MJ was fully connected/wired in

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

A voltage surge into the Megajolt via the PIP input is likely the culprit then.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

haz87

Post by haz87 »

Repairable?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Always! as before, if you want us to look at it drop us a note at [email protected].
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter