Trying to connect via Bluetooth.

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The icon becomes enabled when the app thinks the configuration has been written to the controller, as it is a two step process - write to controller, then commit it to flash.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

Thanks for the info...with that information I think I can see that the BT module works for displaying runtime information but not for communicating to write to the MJ. The delay I am seeing (around 35 seconds) before the connection is re-established must be a timeout and because the config didn't write, it can't be committed.

The odd thing is I can read the map back from the MJ as long as the power is kept.

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

SUCCESS!!!

OK, I finally got it to work...but I don't like the answer. I could never get the MJ Config 4.0.2 to write to the chip. Nothing I changed seemed to solve it. I finally remember reading about PCJolt. I downloaded a new copy and ran it. Connecting to the MJ was easy via Bluetooth and I was able to upload the map and commit it to the chip memory. Powering down the MJ and back up proved that the map was finally saved...even the MJ Configurator was able to read it finally.

Two things really stumped me in this process:

#1. The BlueTooth module (HC-06) by default cannot be AT programmed to the correct BAUD rate. I had to add a pin at the "Key" terminal and then pull it high using a 10K resistor and a momentary switch when I wanted to program it. Doing this I was able to change the name and the BAUD rate. Changing the name is VERY helpful when trying multiple Bluetooth modules!

#2. Commiting the map to the chip is not obvious until I know about it. The MJ Configration software doesn't like the bluetooth connection and wouldn't do it...seems more finicky than the PCJolt software. I like the interface of the MJ software however, much cleaner. Either will work for saving a map I am sure.

My next steps will be to figure out an actual useful two stoke map and load it as a starting point. I really want to get an Android app working so I can adjust the configuration while on the lake...guessing at a starting point will be a start but that is all.

Thanks everyone for your help! If anyone has questions I can answer feel free to contact me.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it working!

You can configure the HC-06 module by sending it the correct AT commands - this is what we use in the RaceCapture/pro bluetooth module. We've never needed to toggle or pull-high a pin, at least not on the raw module.

In any case, glad you got it working!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

brentp wrote:Glad you got it working!

You can configure the HC-06 module by sending it the correct AT commands - this is what we use in the RaceCapture/pro bluetooth module. We've never needed to toggle or pull-high a pin, at least not on the raw module.

In any case, glad you got it working!
Until I found the information about the needing to pull the Key pin high I couldn't figure out why I could get it to respond but not accept the AT commands. This is with the DX module, I never did get my Linvor module to work.

I too am glad it's working, I was worried the board was faulty! Now I just need the android app to work as well...MegaJolt Android won't connect for some reason, keeps telling me I need to choose a BT connection (which I have done)....

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Good news, Tightwad.
I have encountered a new problem. It seems that Microsoft has torpedoed us. The Megajolt Configurator program which was working just fine under Windows 8.1 suddenly refuses to run after the latest "update" by MS. The opening splash screen shows up but nothing further at all. I have tried removing the program and its folder and then reinstalling it but that makes no difference.
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

What? This isn't good. also, we don't have a Windows 8 machine. Grrrr.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

One thing you can check is to see if you can update your display drivers. The OpenGL 3D graphics sometimes have problems with out-of date video drivers.

We'll watch for other people running windows 8.

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

The display drivers are probably tied to my machine. It is a Lenovo Miix 8 2 tablet. I picked it because it is a smallish tablet (8" -- appropriate for mounting in the car on a windshield bracket) that runs the full version of Windows (so that I could run the configurator program). It has worked well until yesterday morning (after an "update" the night before) when it just refused to run. I wish I had more info to give you, but there is nothing. There are no error messages, no anything.
...Bob

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

As I posted in another thread, my tablet is working properly and the mjlj configurator program is also working properly -- as long as it is a wired connection. :evil:

I bought a new HC-06 BT module because I thought I may have damaged my old one in all the attempts to get it to work. I configured it to 38,400, 8,n,1. I set the PIN to 1234. I set the name to mjlj. All that worked fine. I connected it to the mjlj board and powered up the ignition to get power. I paired it to my laptop. I checked the COM port, it is COM 10 -- cool. I set COM 10 to 38,400,8,n,1. I set the mjlj software to COM 10. I get the good old "can't open port" message. The LED on the HC-06 blinks unsteadily. I shut everything down and powered it up again. No difference. For "transparent technology this is awfully muddy. I must really WANT this to work since I keep banging my head against this brick wall.
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Note, when the BT module is paired and connected the led will illuminate steadily- no blinking.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Yes, I understand that. It is paired. So how do I get it to connect?
...Bob

tightwad

Post by tightwad »

When it pairs on mine the led on the bluetooth module goes solid and the connection warnings go away. I lose the pairing when I try to upload a map however...I have to use the PCJolt application to actually write to the chip.

I was able to get two bluetooth modules to work with the MJ...only one works with the AndroidJolt app however, so that is the one I am using. In both modules I had to put the module into programming mode to change the baud rate via AT commands (using the USB to Serial adapter on the pins.). Pretty much a pain in the butt for those like me who aren't well versed in Bluetooth and connection differences.

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Yeah, Tightwad, I'm new to this BT stuff too. Mine seems to be paired up OK, but apparently it refuses to talk to the MJLJ program even though the port is set correctly. Not happy.
...Bob

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

An alternative to try is the roving networks device earlier in this thread.

Bob, you're saying it *does* connect and talk correctly when hard wired?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter