Faulty EDIS or VR Sensor

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

RADO

Faulty EDIS or VR Sensor

Post by RADO »

Hi All : I'm at the point of starting up Rebuilt Rover 3.5V8 with new Megajolt system and I have been having lots of problems. Perhaps someone can shed some light on where I should go next.
First problem: This all occurred on very first time I cranked the motor. There was no way the motor would have started as I had used the incorrect mark on my cam timing wheel. At this point I took the opportunity to check voltages as per the setup manual. With the Megajolt disconnected and running only the EDIS on its own. all voltages checked out except for the VR sensor voltage. It was reading 0 Volts when off and 1.2VAC when Cranking. A timing light showed spark but only every now and then. I put that down to the timing light being difficult. I pulled a plug and sat it on the block and watched it spark when cranking. I was very erratic with an occasional spark brighter than the rest.
I set about correcting my cam problem and when doing a start test found a very different problem to before.
My VR sensor has a constant 2VDC reading when stopped and cranking. Ive changed the sensor gap from .2 to 1mm and back again with no change in the voltage reading. Is my problem the Sensor or the EDIS.

I would appreciate someone letting me know where to go from here. Unfortunately I don't have a spare of each on hand to do a change out.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

One additional thing to verify is the proper supply voltage to the EDIS module and the coil pack. If there isn't sufficient current available, the voltage might sag, causing the EDIS to reset.

An oscilloscope reading on the sensor and voltage supply could really help illustrate where the problems might be. Finally, a weak sensor to trigger wheel coupling might be at the root of the problem, if the EDIS module can't pick up the waveform.

Keep us posted on what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter