Can't write PIP-filter level

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Alex B

Can't write PIP-filter level

Post by Alex B »

Under the Global Controller Options I can enter a value in the EDIS PIP filter level box but I can neither store nor write it. Neither the ''Write Options'' nor the ''OK'' button trigger the ''Write Ignition Configuration'' nor the ''Commit Configuration to flash'' buttons. I never had the PIP filter programmed with a high value, but for some reason unknown I need to set it high in order to prevent that the revs in the configuration screen go all over the place while the engine runs at steady revs. On the same load level line the rev counter can shoot up and down like mad, while the rev counter in the car that gets its signal from the lines to the coil pack is rock steady. Result is a strugling engine that runs occasionally at much higher exhaust temperatures and strugles against too much advance. Is ther some firmware I need to update?

Alex

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

After receiving the new battery to my laptop I was able to make a testdrive an follow what was happening on the screen. At first everything was normal but after some driving and warming up of the engine all of a sudden hell broke loose again. Steady load but advance jojoing between 0 and ca 40 degrees while it should be a steady 35. Setting the PIP-filter to 150 did not make any difference. The disturbance just comes and goes. The rev counter did not show any irregularities. Unfortunately I was not able to record and save what was happening on the Runtime screen, but it showed what I described regarding advance. I checked the trigger wheel and sensor afterwards for looseness, but everything is mounted rock solid without the slightest slack. For as far as I can see the shielded cable is intact without any kinks or damages. I will check the Edis connector to see if all the pins are correctly in place. A contact not tight enough might give the same symptoms. To be continued.

Alex

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

Another test drive gave an interesting result. Everything was normal and then all of a sudden there came a rpm spike to over 15000 (!) rpm, resulting in the soft rev limiter putting advance to 0 degrees. During the first run it happened several times in fast sequence, the next time.after a stop and fidling with the Edis connector it happened only once. This leads after my humble opinion to two culprits, the first being a bad contact in the Edis connector, the second to a trigger wheel sensor gone bad. Have faulty sensors been experienced among the readers here?

Alex

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

After a second test drive I opened up the EDIS-connector as much as possible and pushed down the connector pins as far as I could. Probably this little did the trick because after that timing was fine again.

Alex

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it figured out! Bad connections can be tough to diagnose.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter