TPS to MAP conversion

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

capri_turbo

TPS to MAP conversion

Post by capri_turbo »

Sorry if I am being dense here, but I often can't see the forest for the trees...

I've been hunting around for a while now for a map to suit a pinto engine. What I'm looking for is a 3d map using a MAP sensor, but all I can find is one using a TPS. I'm new to all the setup software etc. and as yet don't have a system up and running... what I am doing is trying to sort a basic standard 3d map (using MAP sensor) for my engine based on what knowledge I have of it's current dizzy advance curve.

Is there a "rule of thumb" for transposing the TPS figures to an approximate MAP reading? I'm using a single downdraught carb, so the MAP signal should be pretty stable.

Thanks in advance...

capri_turbo

can anyone help?

Post by capri_turbo »

I have the 3d maps from Matt Dearden, but the "load" axis is TPS... is there any way of transposing these figures to rough "kpa" readings to get me started?

My only other option is to take a spare distributor and work out how much the vacuum advance capsule advances the ignition at various kpa readings... this will obviously take time but may well be my only option.

capri_turbo

this is a nightmare...

Post by capri_turbo »

all the maps I can find / maps peeps have emailed me use 0 to 152 in the "map bins" I take it these numbers relate to a TPS application. Is there a standard safe Pinto map out there using a MAP sensor that will allow me to get my engine running in 3d when I get the MJLJ installed, or will I have to run in 2d mode...

I don't have a laptop so using the runtime display is not an option for me to tune "on the fly" and our local rolling road say they cannot map it for me as they have no experience with this system.