Mind f*ck MJ Lite Jr...please help before I slit my wrists

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

vanorak

Mind f*ck MJ Lite Jr...please help before I slit my wrists

Post by vanorak »

Hi...hoping someone can clear this up. I have a MJ Lite Jr. Version 3. I have successfully managed to connect the unit to my laptop (windows 10, using COM4) with V3.2.1 Configurator. As a basic test I can see KPA variation when I suck on the Map sensor and I can navigate through the various menus. So far so good; the unit seems to be working. As 3.2.1 doesn't have the function to offset the VR sensor or cranking advance, I thought I need to upgrade to the latest V3 Configurator. I can download this no problem, but it does not communicate with the MJ unit. So I assume I also have to upgrade the firmware. This is where I get totally stuck. The instructions on the download area are very clear and concise but for some reason I can't seem to follow them. It says I need to open a CMD prompt, then type in the saved file, then type hsprg08exe (or whatever) and with the unit powered up it should then update. Computer says no. hsprg08 exe blocked by windows or some such. I confess I don't know the difference between a hsprog exe from an s19 etc?

As you've probably guessed by now I'm not particularly computer savvy so I find this pretty frustrating.

Can anyone verify the steps I need to take in plain english, (assuming I can update)? Would dearly love to get this thing up and running and any help would be most welcome, alternatively, If there's someone who'd be willing to update it for a fee, I'm happy to send it out

Thanks in advance, Jonathan :)

vanorak

Re: Mind f*ck MJ Lite Jr...please help before I slit my wrists

Post by vanorak »

So here's what I see when I open a cmd and type in what was suggested:

driving me nuts!

in the instructions:

Open a command window (Click Start / Run, and enter 'cmd')

Cmd.jpg

Change the directory to where you saved your firmware files earlier at the C: prompt (Type cd c:mjlj and press enter).

Enter the following command:

> hc08sprg.exe COM1 mjlJunior_VX.X.X.s19

what does "change the directory" mean exactly? Is it me or is this unusually difficult to do? :oops:
Attachments
errormessagePNG.PNG
errormessagePNG.PNG (16.67 KiB) Viewed 4687 times

vanorak

Post by vanorak »

when using cmd prompt (as a user or administrator) when I type in cd c: mjlJunior_V3.3.0.s19 it now says the system cannot find the path specified...

I'm about five minutes away from throwing this ffing thing across the room... :shock:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Your problem is not megajolt specific, but generally how to use windows and a command prompt for running programs.

Here's one guide from searching google: how to run a program from the command prompt on windows

https://www.wikihow.com/Run-an-EXE-File ... and-Prompt

If this continues to prove to be difficult, then please find a local friend who can help you walk through it.

Thank you,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

vanorak

Post by vanorak »

Thanks for getting back Brent. I suspect you're right. Windows 10 is far from intuitive and many of the online help videos show different screenshots and sequences to what I'm experiencing. As far as chucking the thing across the room, it's more a question of Bill Gate's errant technology, rather than yours! :D

I'll have another go and post the results.

vanorak

Post by vanorak »

invalid speed specified.PNG
invalid speed specified.PNG (19.06 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
still no joy. No idea what I'm doing incorrectly.
if i simply type in hc08sprg.exe I get an error message, if I copy it as a 'path' followed by mjlJunior_V3.3.0 s19 I then get the above message

vanorak

Post by vanorak »

finallyPNG.PNG
finallyPNG.PNG (41.64 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Think I may have sorted it. I had to manually type in hc08sprg.exe then copy the firmware path as a path, using the windows 10 CTRL right click 'copy as path' option. If this looks ok I'll be glad to know....