Evo X canbus mapping

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
momostallion

Evo X canbus mapping

Post by momostallion »

Hey guys, I got your tweet: https://twitter.com/momostallion/status ... 4141804544

Feel free to move this post to a different subforum. i didnt know what was best for vehicle specific canbus.

I put together a spreadsheet of all known Evo X sensors and their addresses, formulas, and comments:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

One important thing to note: I only know of two good/fast ways to communicate with the Evo X ECU. Both methods require the end user to have modified their ECU ROM. This is VERY common practice for Evo guys because we all tinker, modify, datalog, and tune the car.

The first method requires that the user has enabled "Mode 23" communication over CANBUS which allows us to directly access data via hexadecimal address. This has been the predominate means of accessing & data logging our sensors and has been in practice since this platforms infancy. This method is tried and true, offers ~20Hz logging rates depending on the number of items you are requesting.
An issue here is that every ECU ROM ID has different addresses, the 2nd tab on the spreadsheet is for 1 specific ROM ID. This method does look the easiest to interact with, 99% of these have all been discovered by the Evo open source community and I can always help compile the addresses for other common ROM IDs for RCP purposes.

The second method is the latest/greatest Evo X specific ECU ROM tweek called RAX Patch v2 which includes "Fast Logging". It is about 2 years old now, most Evo fanatics run this. It still uses mode 23 but bundles individual addresses into 4 byte packages. This allows for all 34 sensors to poll at near 100Hz. Another benefit is the addresses for this encompass all ECU ROM IDs.

So on the first tab, I have to look into how the 32 bit return value looks so I can finish it and list the offsets of each request.

Mo

jottofar

Post by jottofar »

Wow that is awesome information!! Any chance you have the same thing on the Mazda Mx5 ? :D If not any tips on how I could get it/work it out for myself ?

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

Man I wish. This is the collective efforts of a fantastic open source society. It's what i fully expect RCP to be.
This is all due to assembly guys who spent the time to discover tables and values.

As far as your platform, stuff like this might exist, you never know.
You have a popular car. I'm sure people tune them right? The more people that tune their cars, the more ecu exploits they will find.

jottofar

Post by jottofar »

momostallion wrote:Man I wish. This is the collective efforts of a fantastic open source society. It's what i fully expect RCP to be.
This is all due to assembly guys who spent the time to discover tables and values.

As far as your platform, stuff like this might exist, you never know.
You have a popular car. I'm sure people tune them right? The more people that tune their cars, the more ecu exploits they will find.
Got it! Something to look into for sure. Thanks

rdoherty

Post by rdoherty »

Wow, thanks Momostallion! I've added a page to our wiki for tracking CAN info for the Evo X and added the spreadsheet. If you want we can set you up with an account so you can edit that page and add more info as you go, let us know!

http://www.autosportlabs.net/EvoX_CAN
Ryan Doherty
Autosports Labs

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes - thanks! We'll also add it to our CAN bus database.

http://autosportlabs.net/CAN_Bus_database

Do you have the information regarding the CAN IDs and how the request works? I.e. how does a request get processed - will RCP need to ask for piece of data from the memory address using a certain CAN request message?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

Thanks guys.

Yea you can add me. If we figure out how to do it via the mode '0x23' method rather than the packaged method, the addresses are a bit different for each ECU so I could at least keep all of those updated for future Evo X owners.

I'm happy to test anything, I have mk1 with CANx adapter and obd2 cable. I can hardwire to CAN high/low if needed.

I would love to replace the 4 ecu wires I tapped with CAN data. I could always use more sensors.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I figured it out from a separate forum post; it looks like a standard PID request, but replacing the payload with 0x23 XX XX XX

this is a standard PID request:

CAN address = 0x7df;
msg[0] = 2;
msg[1] = 1;
msg[2] = pid;

A quick Lua script would verify it.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Sawdust

Evo X CAN Mapping

Post by Sawdust »

Raising this thread from the dead, apparently I'm late to the party...

I've been using EvoScan with Mode 23 for a few years and now would like to replace it with RCP. I found a few postings and the Boosted forum thread using scripting with RAX, however I do not have the RAX patch so that's why I'm hoping to accomplish this via the RCP app CAN Mapping.

Has anyone figured out how to map Evo X Mode 23 request values to RCP CAN directly using the app?
I was hoping I could use the same request values from EvoScan, but the CAN ID in RCP does no accept Hex alpha characters, only numeric digits. For example, KnockSum = 23808A9F.

App version: 1.12.1
Mk3 firmware: 2.13.0
2013 Evo X

Any help appreciated, thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - in theory, we are able to support Mode 23 OBDII requests with the latest firmware, but it still needs testing. Can you share a doc with the current mode23 mappings? We can craft a configuration for testing.

Also,

Who can put us in touch with the custom EvoX firmware developers? We have some ideas on how it can be streamlined. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

Hi Brent,

It looks like you were in contact with the early pioneers for the Evo in the Boosted Forums a while back. Personally I don't know how to get a hold of any of them directly, just aware of their hard work from postings in the various forums. Maybe Razorlab and Momo still check here?

I believe the Evo X request IDs vary slightly by model year ROM ID whether its the SST or GSR (5MT). For example, I have a 2013 USDM Evo X GSR (5 speed manual), so it's ROM ID = 59580004. I can pull a list of the request IDs from the EvoScan XML config file and e-mail you. Looks like you got the main ones from Momo for the 2012 Evo X linked in your wiki at https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/EvoX_CAN.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Thanks.

We remember working with those on the Lua integration script. What I meant was the firmware developers on the *ECU* side - I assumed these were not the same people, hence me asking.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

psfp

Post by psfp »

Sawdust,

Just enable RAX fast logging in your ROM, it's straightfoward and won't mess with your current tune:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecufl ... phase.html

I developed a Lua Script based on Mash's work a while ago, it works perfectly on non-Tephra ROMs. Take a look on boostedforums.

Brent,

Richard is the developer of RAX patch for Evo platform. You can contact him at [email protected]
--Paulo

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Paulo,

Thanks, will contact him directly.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Sawdust

Post by Sawdust »

psfp wrote:Sawdust,

Just enable RAX fast logging in your ROM, it's straightfoward and won't mess with your current tune:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecufl ... phase.html

I developed a Lua Script based on Mash's work a while ago, it works perfectly on non-Tephra ROMs. Take a look on boostedforums.
Hi Paulo,

I've never flashed an ECU before, so I'm hesitant, but have been researching it in earnest. Found a few good videos over the weekend. Glad I didn't apply RAX v2 this weekend which was the sticky on EvoM, looks like v3 has been out for awhile from your link...

I read through the Boosted thread a few times over the winter and appreciate the work you and others have put into this, it's one of the main reasons I purchased the system.

Thanks