Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT86

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
crimespree

Post by crimespree »

I'm still messing with this and am just trying to get it solid for reliability, I had some issues with my headunit crashing when all wheels speeds were being used. For it is solid with just the OBDii speed in kmh, once GPS has a kph conversion i can disable OBDii mapping altogether.
It worked beautifully last time out, It's is all hardwired in the car now with an on/off switch.
Here is the data from my record lap at Queensland Raceway. Fasted NA 86/BRZ.
The two laps highlighted are on different tyres, street tyres and hoosiers, category records for each :)

https://podium.live/events/86-drivers-c ... &laps[]=14

I have just hooked a up a pressure gauge and it works well, I intend to get some data before I install a baffled sump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f0jGREkb8k

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

Did anyone get rpm working via can? The address stated in post one seems to be close doesn’t quite work right, it’s somehow dependent upon throttle being applied as well.

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

Has anyone had any luck with ambient temp? CAN or OBD, I’d love to plot this against intake temp.

timurrrr

Re: Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT86

Post by timurrrr »

I've collected info on CAN PIDs for these cars from numerous sources and created this page on the GitHub for my DIY CAN reader:
https://github.com/timurrrr/RaceChronoD ... db/ft86.md
Hope that helps RaceCapture users too, and I'll appreciate additions to that page!

As for the ambient temperature, I believe the OBD-II standard PID is 0x46 service 01 and data is in the first byte, encoded as

Code: Select all

ambient_temperature_celcius + 40
i.e. you need to subtract 40 from the raw value to get the value in celuius.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Could someone check the existing FRS / BRZ preset mapping and check if it matches the latest? If not, we can update the system default, just post the RCP file here.

Thanks for all the hard work reverse engineering this!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Re:

Post by Mugenlude »

crimespree wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 am actually this should be easier,
attached is an RCP file you can just load, note you will still need to select the channel within gauges.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmnu7wu4m7nnj ... N.rcp?dl=0
Bringing back an old thread... this link is broken, wondering if someone has it or if crimespree would be able to host them again. TIA.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

FYI - The latest mapping for this ECU is already available in the system presets. Press the cloud update button if you don't see it in the list.

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

brentp wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:01 am FYI - The latest mapping for this ECU is already available in the system presets. Press the cloud update button if you don't see it in the list.
I found the presets (thanks), however, it seems as if RPM isn't included in the CAN Mapping.

I attempted to add it myself following the tables provided earlier (ID 320, 16, 14, bit checked, unsigned, little, x1.0÷1.0+0), but I'm getting a number that is incorrect. I'm not seeing 'RPM' as an option in the Conversion drop-down, which I believe is the issue as I have 'No Conversion' selected

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You're correct, there's no RPM conversion because there are no common units conversion as you might have with F -> C or PSI -> Bar.

RPM is always RPM. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

brentp wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:06 pm You're correct, there's no RPM conversion because there are no common units conversion as you might have with F -> C or PSI -> Bar.

RPM is always RPM. :)
'No conversion' seemed like the correct answer.... until I saw the output. LOL

This is what I'm using for Can Mapping settings:

CAN ID Match
CAN ID: 320
Mask: 0
Sub ID: Disabled
CAN Bus: 1

Raw Value Mapping
Offset: 16
Length: 14
Bit Mode: Checked
Source Type: Unsigned
Endian: Little

Formula
Raw x 1 ÷ 1 + 0

I'm getting results which jump around quickly from 4,000 to 53,000. Any thoughts on what I'm doing incorrect?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great update. Make sure you share your CAN configuration using the new RaceCapture V2 app presets capabilities.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

Those were just the inputs I was using, which were not working correctly...

I'm still looking to see if someone else could help me get it working.

DocWalt

Post by DocWalt »

Can you just use the OBD2 RPM channel? Any particular reason you need the CAN channel?

I don't have an 86 in front of me, but it does sound like you're making it harder on yourself than it needs to be. IIRC you can just use the same CAN device that's used for OBD2 RPM and grab it using CAN if you'd prefer?

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

I can get the info via OBD2 channels. If this data is pulled just as fast as going the CAN channels route then you would be correct, I'm making it harder than I need to.

I was under the impression we wanted to use CAN channel route over the OBD2 channels when possible due to the data rate, and others seem to be getting RPM via CAN.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, We have a CAN mapping system preset already for the FT86, with EngineTemp, Oil, Steering, Brake, TPS, 4 wheels, and gear indicator.

Are there any additional channels that can be added to this preset?
Attachments
FT86_can_mapping.jpg
FT86_can_mapping.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter