Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT86

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
mkarr

Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT86

Post by mkarr »

Here's the data I have compiled for these cars so far. Data comes from online sources, and my own explorations. I have tested most of this on my own car, a 2013 FRS with a manual transmission. Not sure if there are any minor year model differences, or between transmissions.

Offsets and lengths are listed in bits. For the most part, these lie on byte boundaries, but there are exceptions. IDs are listed in hexadecimal, even though the RaceCapture requires them to be input in decimal (this tripped me up for a few minutes!), so you will need to convert when entering.

----

Engine Speed

ID: 0x140
Offset: 16
Length: 14
Type: Unsigned
Endian: Little
Multiplier: 1
Unit: RPM

Accelerator Pedal

Offset: 0
Length: 8
Multiplier: 0.392157
Unit: %

As far as I can tell, this is the accelerator pedal position input as seen by your foot.

Throttle/TPS

Offset: 48
Multiplier: 0.392157
Unit: %

As far as I can tell, this is the actual throttle percentage that the drive by wire throttle body actually moves to.

Brake Pressure/Position

ID: 0xD1
Offset: 16
Multiplier: ???
Unit: ???

I have not quite deciphered the brake unit conversion yet. I have seen values of 0-120ish in practice. This is likely limited to just how hard I can press down on the pedal. This may be a position or pressure value.

Steering Angle

ID: 0xD0
Offset: 0
Length: 16
Type: Signed
Multiplier: 0.1
Unit: Degrees

I have also seen the steering angle at 0x18, offset 48, length 16. But this has been inconsistent, and I am unsure of under what condition it appears reliably.

Wheel Speeds

ID: 0xD4
Length: 16
Multiplier: 0.05747
Unit: KPH

Offsets:

Front-Left: 0
Front-Right: 16
Rear-Left: 32
Rear-Right: 48

Temperatures

ID: 0x360
Intercept: -40
Unit: Degrees C

Offsets:

Oil: 16
Coolant: 24

Clutch Position

Offset: 15
Length: 1

Just a simple in-out flag.

Gear Indicator

ID: 0x141
Offset: 48
Length: 4

This is a calculated value, rather than read directly from the transmission. The car must be in motion with the clutch out for this to be valid. I am unsure if this value requires the gear indicator on the cluster to be enabled, I have not tested that yet.

----

Hope this helps some people. I look forward to seeing what others come up with, too. :D
Last edited by mkarr on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Karr

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Very nice!!

As a wrx owner, I hope that some of this cross over.

mkarr

Post by mkarr »

boggie1688 wrote:Very nice!!

As a wrx owner, I hope that some of this cross over.
From what I know of the WRX, the ID's and offsets won't match up exactly. But the formats will be very similar. You would need to spend a while with a can logger to really see.
Last edited by mkarr on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Karr

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

success!
Attachments
IMG_9044.JPG
IMG_9044.JPG (106.03 KiB) Viewed 11298 times
Last edited by crimespree on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

OK had a bit of a win tonight!
I have OIL temp working and almost everything I need except brake pressure
using CAN ID 209 offset 2 and length 1 but not getting a reading, I'm sure i am close as PSI came up in the units for the gauge once.
I couldn't get throttle / wheel speed via CAN but using OBD for now.
Attachments
IMG_9042.JPG
IMG_9042.JPG (106.86 KiB) Viewed 11300 times

bobel

Post by bobel »

I think I need a little help, I have zero experience with CAN or PID and I'm trying to set this up on my Racecapture/Track to read from my GT86 racecar, I really need someone to spell this out in simple terms for me :oops:

So I've inputed the exact same CAN settings for all three as shown above and I'm getting nothing back on the display, Am I missing something? I tried the standard PID for RPM and it was working fine so I assume its not a communication issue.

Example of what settings I've used to try and map the oil temperature

Can Settings:
Baud Rate 500K

CAN mapping settings:
Rate 1 Hz
Can ID 864
Mask 0
Can Bus 1
Offset 2
Length 1
Bit Mode: Not Ticked
Source Type: Unsigned
Formula: Raw x 1.0 divided 1.0 + -40
Unit Conversion: F->C

I also tried using the PID instead but I can't figure out the settings to use, as best I can tell the PID for oil temperature is 2101, but the information for the oil temperature is located at byte location "AC" which I believe would be equivalent to offset 28?? But I can only select up to offset 7?? Also how do I find out with CAN ID to use with the PID, and all the other settings to use?
My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell may cars and parts for what I said they cost

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

bobel wrote:I think I need a little help, I have zero experience with CAN or PID and I'm trying to set this up on my Racecapture/Track to read from my GT86 racecar, I really need someone to spell this out in simple terms for me :oops:

So I've inputed the exact same CAN settings for all three as shown above and I'm getting nothing back on the display, Am I missing something? I tried the standard PID for RPM and it was working fine so I assume its not a communication issue.

Example of what settings I've used to try and map the oil temperature

Can Settings:
Baud Rate 500K

CAN mapping settings:
Rate 1 Hz
Can ID 864
Mask 0
Can Bus 1
Offset 2
Length 1
Bit Mode: Not Ticked
Formula: Raw x 1.0 divided 1.0 + -40
Unit Conversion: F->C

I also tried using the PID instead but I can't figure out the settings to use, as best I can tell the PID for oil temperature is 2101, but the information for the oil temperature is located at byte location "AC" which I believe would be equivalent to offset 28?? But I can only select up to offset 7?? Also how do I find out with CAN ID to use with the PID, and all the other settings to use?

OK, make sure you are CAN mapping, maybe turn off OBDii channel mapping to be sure, as there is no PID mapping in CAN.

Edit CAN channel mapping:

channel
name: Oil
Units: C
Precision: 0
Min / Max: 0 / 200

CAN ID match
can id: 864
Mask: 0
Can Bus: 1

Raw Value Mapping
Offset: 2
Length: 1
Bit mode unticked

Formula
Raw x 1 / 2 + -40

Units Conversion
No Coversion

Try that and let me know how you go

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

Write that then restart the app and the racecapture.
I had a few niggles that have been sorted by that i think.
I have brake pressure working now as well!

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

actually this should be easier,
attached is an RCP file you can just load, note you will still need to select the channel within gauges.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmnu7wu4m7nnj ... N.rcp?dl=0

bobel

Post by bobel »

Thank you crimespree your a gentleman.

I'll give your file a try and see if I can get it working, I've just had a look at it on my laptop app (away from the car at the moment) and the settings look identical to what I had inputted on mine, but I'll re-write your file and restart the app and racecapture afterwards too as I have not done that before.
My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell may cars and parts for what I said they cost

crimespree

Post by crimespree »

no worries, i just reworked it with wheel speed and 0-100% pedal, same link as above.

I was finding the the RCP needed a power cycle after entering settings. Maybe also force quit app just to be sure.

mkarr

Post by mkarr »

Nice job with creating the settings file crimespree! It was hard for me to do that, as I have the RaceCapture/Track and could only enter 5 at a time.
Mike Karr

BatStig

Post by BatStig »

Wow! Just found this! Thank you guys for sharing your hard work!

bobel

Post by bobel »

Little update, got this up and running on my racecar for this weekend, thanks to crimespree for the config file again.

Had a few issues, mainly my table would not consistently pick up the racecapture/track WIFI, also had a lot of issues with the GPS accuracy, both obviously not CAN mapping related. But was great to have oil temp and brake pressure visible in car, and to be able to log steering angle too.

I'm blaming the poor GPS on the location of the unit, so I've moved it into the centre of my dash so it has clear windscreen above it, however I'm not sure why the WIFI connection was so poor, it continuously dropped in and out. But I'm looking forward to some future bug free logs so I can overlay steering, brake and speed which will be awesome

sirwin71

Post by sirwin71 »

Hi all,

This is so great. Wonder if anyone has found any other channels we can map, or how we find them.

Anyway, using crimesprees excellent file I could not get wheelspeed either, and decided to compare his inputs with those listed above. I think for those he forgot to convert length from what I assume are bits to bytes, as was done for the parameters that work. Appears we leave bit mode off, but wondering if we can use the listed length/offset if we turn it on?

Would be nice to have the exact entries we need for racecapture listed without need conversions, but this is the only place I have found this information, so hard to complain!

Thanks!