Porsche 997.1 CAN Mapping

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
RAE997

Porsche 997.1 CAN Mapping

Post by RAE997 »

Just purchased a RaceCapture/Track, but am not seeing how I can configure the CAN mapping. I understand the Track model does not support Lua scripting but thought it would still support CAN installation. The '06 911 does not have the CAN wired to the OBD as it uses the K line instead. As outlined by AIM, you can connect to the CAN BUS and there are up to 16 available channels (model specific).

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/e ... 02_eng.pdf

Is this not possible with the Track model?
Last edited by RAE997 on Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Another Porsche owner!! Welcome!

I think there is a way to get CAN data to your RCT.

You won't be able to use the OBDII cable provided because of the reason you mentioned. No CAN via OBDII. However, you can make your own cable! All you need is a Cat5/6 cable.

Check out this:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Racecapt ... stom_Cable

RAE997

Post by RAE997 »

Boggie, thanks for the welcome. Love the Porsche's, my last one was a 987 too. I tried to keep things tame with it... on the 997 I've gone all out with mods though. :)

I've got a CAT6 cable prepped, posi-taps and know where to connect into the Hi/Low CAN signal. I didn't connect it this weekend as I don't see in my RaceCapture software the "CAN Mapping" menu option you have shown in your posts screenshots. That is what mainly concerned me if it would work. Perhaps that page is only shown if a connected CAN bus signal is present?

Were you able to successfully get your RCP3 mapped? I believe our P cars share the same ECU but available CAN channels may be different.

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

As for as I can tell, the Track unit has CAN abilities. To which degree, I am uncertain. I'm sure Brent will pop in when he is not busy doing more important things.
Log

Predictive lap timing with the built-in high performance GPS
3 axis accelerometer to measure G-Forces in 3D
3 axis Gyro to measure Yaw, Pitch and Roll
CAN bus or OBDII data – connect directly to 2008+ CAN/OBD-II ports or older cars with the legacy OBDII adapter
All in a tiny, easy to install case
I'm not sure if the app shows the CAN Mapping section before you connect the cable. I never really paid attention to it. I know however, that the Lua Scripting section, only appears after you connect the app to the datalogger. I say connect it all, and see how it goes. If you are nervous, perhaps try it on a car that has known CAN via OBDII.

I did get some of my 987 mapped. Coolant temp, engine temp, throttle, and steering angle. I added an oil pressure sender and also plan on adding a brake pressure sender after the season ends. The steering angle sensor is slow, so there may be an additional off season project there too.

It helped to have a Durametric cable/software. It gave me an idea as to what information the ecu had available, and I could also quickly come up with formulas by plotting data points from the durametric software against RAW data points I logged from the can bus.

Post back with what you find out. Always happy to help another P-car owner.

Banshee

Post by Banshee »

boggie1688 wrote:Another Porsche owner!! Welcome!

I think there is a way to get CAN data to your RCT.

You won't be able to use the OBDII cable provided because of the reason you mentioned. No CAN via OBDII. However, you can make your own cable! All you need is a Cat5/6 cable.

Check out this:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/Racecapt ... stom_Cable
I have a 996 GT3, and will be starting to attempt to get my RCT working with it.
Would the stock CAN channels that populate the fields, not work with P cars?

VPD

Post by VPD »

I'm about a year late to this thread, but I've been working on sniffing the 3 CAN buses on my 2007 987.1. I am doing this with a PCAN USB unit where I can view raw CAN data and have identified a few popular ones already, as well as 1 channel that AIM says doesn't exist...brake pressure. I was going down the Arduino route until I discovered RC (not sure how I missed it in all the CAN internet searching I've done), so I plan to buy the hardware very soon.

As it's a 987.1 I was planning to post on boggie's thread, but any of us here with 9x7.1 cars should consolidate our efforts and share notes.