TPMS - CAN protocol for BMW '13 328 (F30)

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
jaytee

TPMS - CAN protocol for BMW '13 328 (F30)

Post by jaytee »

I'm working through setup of an E36 M3 for track usage. I miss the continual tire pressure display on my Porsche to monitor the state of my tires.

Aftermarket systems (Stack, etc.) are too rich for my blood so I picked up a control unit from an F30 BMW for cheap.

Does anyone have experience with these? It's a Huf unit, so hoping it's not too proprietary.

Figure I'd ask before I go down the reverse-engineering route....

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You might be the first one to reverse engineer. Is this a pretty stand alone device? Got pictures or links to more information?

Would be great to have this option available.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jaytee

Post by jaytee »

brentp wrote:You might be the first one to reverse engineer. Is this a pretty stand alone device? Got pictures or links to more information?

Would be great to have this option available.
Here's a picture of the module itself. It has ground, power, CANH, and CANL connections and typically mounts under the car somewhere below the spare tire well. I think it's commonly used on BMWs and other makes, though each manufacturer may have their own CAN implementation.

From some digging, looks like it requires a "wake up" command via the CAN bus. Will update when I get it powered on and start tracing the messages. Might need to find someone with a F30 BMW willing to let me tap into the CAN bus....
Attachments
TPMS module
TPMS module
TPMS Sensor.jpg (227.82 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
Connector
Connector
TPMS Connector.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 2613 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Interesting. I noticed the same thing with a Fiat unit I tested; it never broadcasted any CAN data.

Looking forward to seeing what you might find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter