Perfect Tuning Universal Gauge and RaceCapture Track

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
coma

Perfect Tuning Universal Gauge and RaceCapture Track

Post by coma »

Going to install a Universal Gauge from Perfect Tuning soon (https://perfecttuning.net/en/), which has 3 analog (0-5V) sensor inputs and is also CAN bus enabled so wanted to see if anyone has connected this universal gauge with a RaceCapture device already and can provide guidance on how to set up the CAN mapping. I'd like the Perfect Tuning gauge to access and display sensor data from RaceCapture Track (and the MegaSquirt MS3 ECU, to which RaceCapture already has access to via CAN bus) and have the RaceCapture Track system access and log the sensor info from the Perfect Tuning gauge.

Thanks much in advance for any input/advice.
Happy Holidays.
CM

ferg

Post by ferg »

Looking at the manual for that gauge, it looks like it can only receive data over the CAN bus (and then only from pre-configured ECUs), so since it does not transmit any of it's locally connected sensors, you will not be able to log that with the RaceCapture.

The other bad news, is since the incoming CAN isn't currently user configurable, you won't be able to receive any of the RaceCapture channels -- but you should be able to get the same MS3 channels that the RaceCapture receives.

coma

Post by coma »

Thanks for the reply and assessment.

According to the founder/developer of Perfect Tuning the gauge is broadcasting the data of the attached sensors on the CAN bus. So, if that‘s the case (I‘ll double check), would RaceCapture be able to see and log it?

I believe (from what Perfect Tuning told me) that the gauge sends specific CAN requests for the preconfigured list of sensor/system data coming from the ECU, but supposedly its also possible to listen to CAN broadcasts - I‘ll verify with the developer if that could include the RaceCapture. Is the RaceCapture Track capable of doing a CAN broadcast of all data from attached sensors?

Thx
CM

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

RaceCapture does not have a specific "CAN input format" or protocol - we can adapt to essentially any CAN data stream output by ECUs, sensors and so on - so long as we know the protocol (e.g. it is documented).

We have a very good guide here on how to do that mapping, using our UI tools:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_Integration

If the perfect tuning gauge broadcasts CAN data with it's own protocol, and it is documented, then you can use our tools to map that data.

With RaceCapture/Pro, RaceCapture/Apex and RaceCapture/Track MK2, you can write a Lua script to broadcast channels over CAN bus. Some example scripts here:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... us_scripts

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

coma

Post by coma »

Thanks for the information and insights, Brent. We'll look into it to see how we can connect the two devices via CAN bus.

Rodan

Re: Perfect Tuning Universal Gauge and RaceCapture Track

Post by Rodan »

Bumping this to note that I am running the Track Mk3 with MS3 and a Perfect Tuning guage. Added the Track Mk3 after several years with just the gauge and didn't have to change any settings in the gauge once I got the MS3 talking to the Track Mk3. As I understand things, the PT gauge was already acting as a terminus on the bus, so I turned off the terminus setting in the App for the Track. Both devices seem to be getting and displaying CAN data properly.

Here is how mine is wired on the CAN bus:

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Perfect Tuning Universal Gauge and RaceCapture Track

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update!

Any device that broadcasts CAN - and has the protocol documented - can be ingested by RaceCapture using our easy-to-use mapping tools. Guide here: https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_Integration
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter