E46 M3

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
BK

E46 M3

Post by BK »

I'm in the final stages of a E46 M3 NASA race car build and I'm curious about something now that I have the race capture wired up. Does the preset E46 Can mapping work with a M3? It's not working on my car and I've confirmed data voltage being transmitted via the CAT5 cable on the correct pins, but no data is showing up. There are two sets of twisted wires that are in the area where I tapped for CAN high & low, so I may have selected incorrectly. Before I switched anything I thought I better check that the M3 is supported for the preset mapping.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Brad

BK

Post by BK »

No luck with switching to twisted pair at steering angle sensor. Anyone out there using the preset for a M3?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, the M3 should have the same CAN bus stream as other E46's.

You might want to try tapping into the CAN wires near the steering angle sensor. Also, we have a generic CAN logging script that will show if you're getting any kind of data; good for checking connectivity.

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_logger

Also, check your CAN wire polarity, baud rate and that you're using CAN1 / CAN2 (the logger script also lets you choose it )

Let us know what you find out. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

BK

Post by BK »

I had previously switched it to the steering sensor with no results. However, I just switch from the RJ45 connection to the molex connection and it's working now. It's odd to me that the RJ45 connection supplies the power just fine but the data wasn't coming across. I verified the wires were correct and providing current.

I guess my permanent solution will be to move back to the molex connector for everything and remove the RF45.