E46 Fuel Level

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
BK

E46 Fuel Level

Post by BK »

Can someone help me understand the fuel level that my MK3 is reading. E46 M3, 63L/16.6gal tank. When reading the CAN via the BMW INPA software it shows 57 liters(says gallon though). The RC is showing a value of 28. I'm wondering if it's reporting only one of the level senders. The M3 has two senders due to the saddle type fuel tank. I attached the INPA screen if anyone wants to help me figure this out. I may just be out of luck with monitoring the fuel level. I was hoping this worked show we could monitor fuel level via the telemetry during endurance races (not sure that's even possible yet).

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Capture resized.png
Capture resized.png (65.38 KiB) Viewed 3035 times

BigLobsterDude

Re: E46 Fuel Level

Post by BigLobsterDude »

BK wrote:Can someone help me understand the fuel level that my MK3 is reading. E46 M3, 63L/16.6gal tank. When reading the CAN via the BMW INPA software it shows 57 liters(says gallon though). The RC is showing a value of 28. I'm wondering if it's reporting only one of the level senders. The M3 has two senders due to the saddle type fuel tank. I attached the INPA screen if anyone wants to help me figure this out. I may just be out of luck with monitoring the fuel level. I was hoping this worked show we could monitor fuel level via the telemetry during endurance races (not sure that's even possible yet).

Thanks in advance.
I don't know anything about the specific RCP E46 CAN Mapping or how it was derived. However I suspect the mapping is reverse engineered and a mistake was made in the value mapping equation. Take this suggestion with the appropriate caution.

I notice that the RCP reading (of 28) is almost exactly 1/2 of the INAP tank reading (of 57). Also the RCP value is not very close to either of the individual (left/right) INAP sensor values. This leads me to suspect that the RCP mapping is incorrect and need to be multiplied by a factor of two.

This could be verified by looking at the reported RCP values at different tank levels to see if its consistently off by a factor of two.

John
Schumacher Taxi #189

BK

Post by BK »

Good observation. I was wondering if the RC was averaging the two 'lever type sensor' values. I'll have to monitor it and then make up a formula to compensate for the readings.

Thanks.

jwads

Post by jwads »

BK - were you successful in resolving this? I have a non-M E46 and the preset decodes to 28L with a full tank for me too, hoping there is an answer out there somewhere for this item.

BK

Post by BK »

jwads wrote:BK - were you successful in resolving this? I have a non-M E46 and the preset decodes to 28L with a full tank for me too, hoping there is an answer out there somewhere for this item.
I ended up adding to the fuel level can mapping a formula multiplying by 2, and then applying the L to G conversion. It logically should work but I have not tested enough different fuel levels to be sure.

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

Has anyone confirmed that this is working? (ie just multiplying the Fuel Level channel by 2 to correct it?)

STAATS

Post by STAATS »

I tested it and it seems to work but I will compare against my IBUS readout some more and feedback.