GM / Holden E38 ecu

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
DTOY Racing

GM / Holden E38 ecu

Post by DTOY Racing »

Hi

I'm looking to see if the GM / Holden E38 ecu has been used successfully with RC3.

The ecu is factory from a 2006 model. The research I've done shows it supports CAN 11 & 29bit protocols.

Has anyone integrated RC3 with this model ecu?
or
Would I have to go through & do all the mapping of the various engine sensors so RC3 knows how to interpret them?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or information you can throw at me.
Attachments
In the QR pits.
In the QR pits.
DTOY-3.JPG (59.2 KiB) Viewed 9649 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the query. We do support GMLAN - does your ECU output in this format?
Attachments
GM_LAN_CAN_Mapping.png
GM_LAN_CAN_Mapping.png (176.49 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DTOY Racing

Post by DTOY Racing »

Hi Brent

My best guess is - yes.

I use a HP Tuners for tuning and an EFI Live for data logging. Wiring has a twisted pair that is used for communications. It used to run to the BCM, ABS & other units. Being it's a race car, all of those have been removed with just the ECU remaining.

Do you have some instructions on how can I ascertain that GMLAN is being used?

The ECU is the standard unit that came in the car with the L98 engine. This is the 6L 2006 version of the engine.

Thanks
Daryl

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

The easiest way is to simply wire up the CAN bus to the ECU, paying attention to CAN1 or CAN2, then load and enable the GMLAN preset to see if data is flowing across those channels.

The preset defaults to CAN1, so just wire it to CAN1 on RaceCapture and also ensure the baud rate is 500K (the default).

Let us know what you find out!

DTOY Racing

Post by DTOY Racing »

Thanks Brent

I should have clarified earlier that I haven't purchased a RC3 as yet. The information is to help me decide if this is the correct direction for me to head with for a data logger.

Some research shows that this ecu is canbus running at 500K. Looking at your earlier post, the pic shows a L series engine with fly by wire throttle when selecting CAN Mapping.

Do you have a distributor here is Australia?

Thanks
Daryl

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, thanks for the feedback. We don't have a dealer in Australia - yet. but we ship internationally. If you can recommend a company that could be a good fit for us, please let us know - [email protected] .

Thank you!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

russian2

Re: GM / Holden E38 ecu

Post by russian2 »

By any chance is there a URL for a relevant source code for GM LAN mapping for me to learn about GM CAN packets?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: GM / Holden E38 ecu

Post by brentp »

Hi, the GM LAN CAN mapping is available in the RaceCapture app as a system preset - you can import the preset and inspect it through our app, or save it to a config file.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter