Honda K20 (in Ariel Atom) with Hondata Flashpro

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
Captain Chaos

Honda K20 (in Ariel Atom) with Hondata Flashpro

Post by Captain Chaos »

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my original Racecapture Pro and purchased the latest Racecapture Pro MK3 and CAN-OBDII cable. I was hoping to use this on my UK Ariel Atom which uses a supercharged Honda K20 engine. It runs the standard Honda ECU plus a Hondata Flshpro (which is needed for tuning the ECU). The Flashpro plugs into the OBD port so as I understand it, it can read CAN BUS stuff already. However, when I plug my Racecapture Pro MK3 into the ECU via the CAN-OBDII cable, I am unable to "see" any data (rpm etc) via the dashboard on the Racecapture app I run on my tablet when linked via wireless/bluetooth. I have tried data logging on an SD card and no info is picked up (apart from time/gps position)

I have configured the Racecapture by selecting the "Hondata K-Pro" template in the CAN settings. Should there be a specific "Flashpro" config?

I would be extremely grateful for any help. I've read through the forums etc and found topics regarding K-Pro, but nothing about Flashpro. As the Flashpro can "see" CAN data from the OBD port, I aassume the info is there and it's just a case of somehow configuring the Racecapture Pro MK3 to also "see" it?

!any thanks in advance

ferg

Post by ferg »

Is your HonData configured to send CAN data?

You should verify that the correct CAN bus speed (baud rate) is set. I suspect the HonData is 500k baud, but am not certain.

Perhaps you can find someone knowledgeable with the CAN bus to help you. I would connect one of my CAN inspection tools (or write a Lua script) to verify that data was being transmitted, and verify that the RCP could receive it.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Autosport Labs Preferred Dealer
https://veracitydata.com

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

ferg wrote:Is your HonData configured to send CAN data?

You should verify that the correct CAN bus speed (baud rate) is set. I suspect the HonData is 500k baud, but am not certain.

Perhaps you can find someone knowledgeable with the CAN bus to help you. I would connect one of my CAN inspection tools (or write a Lua script) to verify that data was being transmitted, and verify that the RCP could receive it.
Thanks for the reply!

I was hoping to find someone on here amongst the knowledgeable forum members (or from someone at Autosport Labs) that could help guide me as this isn't really an area I'm very familiar with.

How would I verify the baud rate? Do I just go into the RCP3 settings and try making adjustments?

When my RCP3 is plugged into the OBDII port via the CAN-OBDII cable, the red "CAN" LED illuminates so I assume this indicates it can "see" data?

I don't have access to any "CAN inspection tools" that you mention, but would be happy to try the Lua script if anyone can help me with that?

When I plug my Hondata Flashpro into the OBDII port, it can "see" everything. This is a screenshot of the sensors/info that were logged via it's inbuilt data logging capability:

As you can see the amount of info available through the OBDII port is considerable, hence why it would be great if the RCP3 can be set up to capture this and log it.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

ferg

Post by ferg »

It's not clear to me that the FlashPro sends the same data as the KPro produces from Hondata boards. The KPro and S300 are add-in boards, with their own CAN bus output (at least in the case of the S300).

But before giving up on this, I would load the KPro Preset into RCP Setup/CAN Mapping, change the baud rate (under the Setup/CAN Bus Page), and Make sure CAN channels were ON on the CAN Mapping page. I would try 250k and 500k baud rates.

Flashpro seems to imply that you should use ODB-II polling (which is usually SSSLLLLOOOOWWW). But you could also try the Setup/ODB II page and load the starting preset.

As for CAN logging. There is a Lua Script preset called "CAN Bus logger script" that will just display CAN messages to the log window -- this will tell you if you have the baud rate correct, and may help you figure out if the KPro messages are present (CAN ID 0x660 - 0x669).

Perhaps this will give you enough information to get started...
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Autosport Labs Preferred Dealer
https://veracitydata.com

Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

ferg wrote:It's not clear to me that the FlashPro sends the same data as the KPro produces from Hondata boards. The KPro and S300 are add-in boards, with their own CAN bus output (at least in the case of the S300).

But before giving up on this, I would load the KPro Preset into RCP Setup/CAN Mapping, change the baud rate (under the Setup/CAN Bus Page), and Make sure CAN channels were ON on the CAN Mapping page. I would try 250k and 500k baud rates.

Flashpro seems to imply that you should use ODB-II polling (which is usually SSSLLLLOOOOWWW). But you could also try the Setup/ODB II page and load the starting preset.

As for CAN logging. There is a Lua Script preset called "CAN Bus logger script" that will just display CAN messages to the log window -- this will tell you if you have the baud rate correct, and may help you figure out if the KPro messages are present (CAN ID 0x660 - 0x669).

Perhaps this will give you enough information to get started...
Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply with all those suggestions!

I will give that a go over the next few days and report back.

Once again many thanks!!!