1997 BMW M44 OBD Data

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
wizrd54

1997 BMW M44 OBD Data

Post by wizrd54 »

My chump team is working on putting together our '97 318ti. Currently the powertrain is not installed so i can't hook up the ECU yet. This was one of the first years of OBDII for BMW so I believe it is sort of a mess.

I know there are some channels you can get from the OBDII port, but not many and some at low data rates. Brent I'm looking for some comments from you since you mentioned that you have a 1997 M3. Without the Autosport Labs classic OBD connector (hopefully coming out soon), could I just try using the CAN/OBD mapping capabilities to get some data? Shouldn't I be able to gather data channels according to the ISO 9141-2 standard?

Also we have an adapter for BMW's 20-pin connector to standard OBDII cable. It is possible to get data from this area using 20-pin to OBDII to the racecapture, would it be any different than what the OBDII connector provides??

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The OBDII classic adapter, when it's available in a few weeks, will make your car appear to have an CAN OBDII connection, just typically slower than modern cars.

More info on the adapter here in the description:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/au ... t-prove-it

So yes, it will work - you'll get basic OBDII data - RPM, TPS, engine temp, manifold pressure, and I think fuel level as well. Yes, it's super slow on an E36, about 7Hz PID query rate. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

wizrd54

Post by wizrd54 »

Thanks Brent. I don't think I really understood it until now. Because our car an old protocol and RaceCapture is looking for a CAN bus I need the OBDII classic adapter.