RCT for 2017 Honda Civic

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
Banshee

RCT for 2017 Honda Civic

Post by Banshee »

I am trying to add Boost pressure to my RCT. I have an OBDlink MX that shows calculated Boost, which I assume it takes the MAP and subtracts the BARO. I have unsuccessfully tried to add BARO which I assume is PID 33, mode 01h, 0 on CAN ID, Formula is Raw X1 /1 +0. MAP is showing around 28 to 29.
So even if I can add those, how would I set it up to estimate my boost pressure? Sorry, I am new at this, but I am used to plug and play, and adding custom PID's is a little challenging for me.
This 17' Honda Civic is being a PITA with them not releasing PID's for their car. On the dash of the , it can show Boost pressure, brake pressure & throttle, but only on their own screen. Also, my TPS is showing around 33 to 34, and I know it is incorrect, at Idle it is usually 12-14.
I am trying to get the 17 Civic Data up and working first, then I am going to work on CAN data for our 04 GT3.

I would say the top 10 data gauges I would want is(I use SoloStorm a lot also):

Oil Temp(it doesn't have this sensor, so I will choose another)
Coolant Temp
Boost Pressure
A/F Actual
TPS
RPM
Speed
IAT
Brake Pressure
Steering Angle(if possible)
MAF

I don't know anything about scripting, as I have seen some talk about it.
Anyone have any input?
Attached is a screen shot of what was showing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170823-182236.png
Screenshot_20170823-182236.png (214.95 KiB) Viewed 4956 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Baro reading:
For the baro reading, is 33 in hexadecimal or in decimal? The PID field for the OBDII editor for RaceCapture is decimal.

If you suspect the 33 is really hex, try specifying the PID as 51, as 51 is the decimal equivalent of 33 hex.

Calculating boost based on baro pressure:

As you know, boost = map sensor value - barometric pressure.

At the moment, RaceCapture does not support the ability to subtract one channel from another in the OBDII mapping.

However, what you can do is estimate the barometric pressure - at sea level it is ~100 KPa (technically 101.3) You can modify your OBDII channel to subtract 100 from the converted MAP sensor value and then convert it to PSI (on the last tab). You'll also need to convert it to Bar (which is the 0.01 multiplier in the formula).

Finally, customize the MAP channel to be Boost instead, by pressing the gear icon next to the channel name.

Here's a table showing barometric pressures at different altitudes:
https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7edae ... f87b9e.pdf

Hope this helps for now!
Attachments
boost3.png
boost3.png (15.61 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
boost.png
boost.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
boost2.png
boost2.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 4954 times

Banshee

Post by Banshee »

2017 Honda Civic Type R

Settings to show my Boost pressure:
OBD2 PID: 11
Mode: 01H
CAN ID: 0
Mask: 0
Offset: 3
Length: 1
Source: Unsigned
Endian: Big
Formula: RAW*0.01/1.0 + -1.0
Conversion: BAR->psi

now to work on the other settings
If anyone has any input on any of the settings in the first post please let me know.

FHB-PERFORMANCE

Other Channels you may have for Honda

Post by FHB-PERFORMANCE »

Hey guys,

I saw the post and probably you can help me. I am testing a Honda Civic 2017 (in Brazil), which runs on ISO 15765-4 protocol.

Are you guys able to share other channels, like RPM, TPM, Pedal and anything else you may have?

I am using RaceCapture to test cars for a car magazine in Brazil.

Thanks!
Felipe

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Late model Honda cars use 29 bit OBDII. In the upcoming RaceCapture software we will have an option to select 29 bit OBDII. To get it to work with the current version, you will need to set the OBDII MODE value to 0 instead of 2024 under the tab "CAN ID Match" for the OBDII channel you are editing.

Try this with a simple channel, like RPM and see if that works.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

FHB-PERFORMANCE

It worked!

Post by FHB-PERFORMANCE »

Hi Brent,

It worked! Doing that, I could add other obd channels too. Just the RPM is quite slow on response, however I found another one using can bus logger and can mapping.
For Pedal:
CAIN ID 304
MASK0
CAN BUS 1

OFFSET4 LENGTH 1
SOURCE TYPE UNSIGNED
ENDIAN BIG

FORMULA x0.39062

Thank you very much!!!!
Felipe

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great! OBDII is inherently slow due to the protocol. Pasting this here for everyone's benefit - here we describe why it's slow and what we do to maximize performance:
https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... -released/

Looks like you found a direct CAN stream, which is always better.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter