RCP/Mk3 causing OBDII interference

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
Dadspeed

RCP/Mk3 causing OBDII interference

Post by Dadspeed »

Hi!

I have a RaceCapture Pro/Mk3 in my 2004 Mazda RX8 race car. I have had some trouble getting OBDII and CAN PIDs working on it. Additionally, the car has refused to rev above 8k, hitting a wall at that speed and showing signs of some electrical problem. I've really been pulling my hair out over this.

Today I hooked up a nice OBDII code reader what will show me the PIDs live. With the engine off and key 'on,' everything looks fine. When I turn on the Pro/Mk3, the PIDs go haywire. The readings are all over the place, and even PIDs marked 'N/A' show funny readings.

Same thing when the car is running, of course. And now I find out that the car will run all the way up to the normal redline with the Pro/Mk3 turned off.

I wonder what I've hooked up incorrectly. The only four wires connected on the Molex are power, ground and CAN high/low. What might I have done wrong? Do I need to change settings in the Pro/Mk3?

Thanks!
TT5 Mazda RX-8

Dadspeed

Post by Dadspeed »

Okay I seem to have tracked the problem down. The OBDII PIDs I had set were not using 'passive mode' in RaceCapture. Setting all of them on passive seems to fix the problem entirely. I still need to make sure the car runs correctly with the Pro/Mk3 turned on, but I feel like this should work. It's not messing with the OBDII PIDs the way it was before.
TT5 Mazda RX-8

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you figured it out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

HomebuiltRacing

Re:

Post by HomebuiltRacing »

Dadspeed wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 am Okay I seem to have tracked the problem down. The OBDII PIDs I had set were not using 'passive mode' in RaceCapture. Setting all of them on passive seems to fix the problem entirely. I still need to make sure the car runs correctly with the Pro/Mk3 turned on, but I feel like this should work. It's not messing with the OBDII PIDs the way it was before.
I have similar problem and if I set "passive mode" for requested PIDs I just don't have any info in log, how this mode supposed to work? Should I also change something else in the settings?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: RCP/Mk3 causing OBDII interference

Post by brentp »

Passive mode means that it's listening to OBDII responses made by another OBDII device -- like it's spying on the data, passively.

The early RX8 ECUs have a problem handling the OBDII queries we generate; the best alternative is to use the RX8 direct CAN mapping, which listens to a stream of CAN data separate from OBDII. See the CAN mapping preset available under Setup / CAN mapping.

Hope this helps,