Monitoring OBDII Traffic

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
gizmodo

Monitoring OBDII Traffic

Post by gizmodo »

I have a 2005 vehicle, that uses OBDII. I have the classic adapter and I can get the standard PIDs to show up in the RaceCapture software. I also have a DiabloSport Trinity that has access to the enhanced Chrysler PIDs. I have seen OBDII splitters, which makes me wonder if there's a way to hook the RCP and Trinity up at the same time and monitor the traffic so I could determine the IDs for those enhanced PIDs and move all my logging over to the RCP? A big benefit to this would be it would allow me to use the RCP as my dash with some added gauges the stock dash doesn't show.

I bought an OBDII splitter and tried plugging both devices in but that didn't work since both were requesting PIDs from the PCM. About a year ago Brent mentioned a passive mode for OBDII, but the classic adapter didn't support that.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yep! This will dump all of the CAN bus traffic seen by RaceCapture. It will show all conversation between systems on the same CAN bus:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_logger

Let us know what you find out with your research!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

I am hooked up to OBDII through the classic adapter, no CAN bus on this car. Does this still apply?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Unfortunately, no. It would need to be CAN OBDII.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter