AnalogX with RaceCapture/Track

Q&A for AnalogX Analog to CAN interface. <a href="https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/AnalogX">Installation and Operation Guide</a>
EcotecMiata

AnalogX with RaceCapture/Track

Post by EcotecMiata »

Am I correct that I can use AnalogX to add analog sensors to my CAN bus that my /Track can then display? I've got a '90 Miata with a 2013 Ecotec engine, the engine is CAN but the car isn't, what I'm hoping to do is add fuel sensor, oil pressure, wideband and maybe one other sensors onto the CAN bus so I can use my Tablet as my full dash.

Would this work?

Paul

EcotecMiata

Post by EcotecMiata »

I was thinking of using this to convert my Miata fuel sender into 5v.

http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/

EcotecMiata

Post by EcotecMiata »

My goal is to replace my current dash 100% with an Android tablet connected to RaceCapture.

I've got a Miata gauge cluster blank panel as a starting point.

Related topic, is "check engine" something that RaceCapture is aware of on CAN or OBD2?

Muda

Post by Muda »

The Miata cluster fuel gauge is the only instrument in the pod which is actually useful on track. It's built in long smoothing is what makes it a useful on track fuel indicator and what makes it a worthless paddock fuel indicator. I use Autometer digital fuel gauges wired to the Miata harness in my sprint cars which makes for very accurate race fills. But the endurance car keeps the Miata gauge. Haven't figured out how to alter smoothing with the racecapture and if it capable of producing a useful endurance gauge using the OEM float. Have fun!!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You can connect AnalogX to RaceCapture/Track, but it will only work with sources that have linear mappings. Example: 0.5v = 0 PSI, 4.5v = 150 PSI, as found on an oil pressure sensor, and other sensors with a straight-line linear mapping, such as wideband AFR sensors.

Sensor with a curved mapping (like many thermistors) won't work, because there isn't a facility to do linear interpolation of the raw value.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

EcotecMiata

Post by EcotecMiata »

brentp wrote:You can connect AnalogX to RaceCapture/Track, but it will only work with sources that have linear mappings. Example: 0.5v = 0 PSI, 4.5v = 150 PSI, as found on an oil pressure sensor, and other sensors with a straight-line linear mapping, such as wideband AFR sensors.

Sensor with a curved mapping (like many thermistors) won't work, because there isn't a facility to do linear interpolation of the raw value.
Thanks Brent.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

There are temperature sensors with linear outputs; for example, the https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/t ... -m6-ts-m8/

This is a 3-wire powered sensor, not a thermistor based sensor, so it also does not need a pullup resistor.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter