changable start point

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

fikus01

changable start point

Post by fikus01 »

just a thought but if we are all positioning our VR sensors slightly differently (even by a couple of mm) then programming the MJLJ accordingly, if ur changing maps from car to car with the same spec engine it mite be helpfull to be able to actually set TDC in the programming rather than have to advance the whole map 1degree to make it the same on both cars or re-position the sensor!

it wud also allow for positioning the sensor a little differently if getting it spot on is difficult but possibly even 10 degrees of play each way could help!
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That is an excellent idea, thanks. Something I was thinking about as well- most recently when I was adding in the variable noise filter parameter. This can be placed under "global controller options" as a +/- value.

I'll put that on my todo list. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

being able to set the pickup position entirely in the programming would help tho it may add confusion for less abled

Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

I dropped a trigger ring & pulley off the other day to have a step machined in the pulley to accept the trigger ring. When I dropped it off I asked them to align the missing tooth at TDC. Then I started thinking that if i couldn't fit the VR sensor at exactly 90 degrees i would be stuffed. So I went in today to ask them to just step the pully & drill & tap 2 holes at 180 degrees from each other & I will then drill the trigger ring. Had this 'adjustment' been in the software I wouldn't have needed to, it's a brilliant suggestion.

Alan...

David Withers

Post by David Withers »

The adjustment should only be a few degrees for "fine tuning" the timing. One of the features of EDIS is the limp home mode which won't work correctly if the VR sensor is too far away from it's specified position.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Agree, you shouldn't be able to go nuts with it- and like david suggested, it will affect the EDIS "limp home" setting- which may or not matter to you much.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

good point havint thought of that, limp home at some un godly amount of degrees could be nasty!

hammy

starting point

Post by hammy »

I'd go with this a being a great idea too - its almost impossible ( with my skills anyway) to get the trigger wheel & sensor aligned spot on ( seems confusing to adjust too when you've looked at the error with a strobe light ) , so a software twiddle of a few degress ( +/- 5 deg??) "global" would be very handy.

looking ofrward to 3.3 then...... :wink:
Hammy
X/F Wessie owner and forum Groupie

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Old thread but well worth my support!

brentp would this be available in a board firmware upgrad along w/ new mj config software or would it require a new board altogether?

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

An old thread, but a good one....

I agree this would be an excellent addition.

The VR bracket I made isn't adjustable, and after trying my best to get the angle spot on, the result is 1 degree out.

Not much, but a little irritating. So, if there was even just a couple of degrees software offset adjustment, I'd be very happy.

I also agree, though, that it shouldn't be too much, as the limp home would be affected.

Mine limps home fine on 11 degrees.

Jon.

knastenrad

Post by knastenrad »

Yes this is a good idea.
Are u thinking of an "offset field" , so u can tune the complete map +/- 5-10 degres??
igniotion offset
just like turning a stock distributor. :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes- it will be analogous to adjusting the stock distributor. Realize that using this offset (for EDIS) takes away from your adjustability at the extents of the configurable range.

knastenrad

Post by knastenrad »

i was thinking 1 degree step's

2002john

Adjustable starting point and new firmware

Post by 2002john »

Will this feature be in new firmware or ever?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I'm considering it for the next firmware version. It will affect the min/max advance you'll be able to configure- since there's only 59 degrees to work with. For example, If you advance 2 degrees then your max advance is limited to 57 degrees. This would typically not be a problem, but I want to make sure to do it in a way that makes sense and isn't confusing.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter