load and playback of data

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

alfa boxer

load and playback of data

Post by alfa boxer »

Hello, I am really happy with the mjlj and am looking forward to the next updates, i.e temperature. One of which is load and playback of data. Just off the topic now, ive stopped smoking and purchased an lm1 with my savings, (this would have been wasted on cigs :D lol) I have not used the lm1 as yet, too cold in my garage to work!!! Load and playback of data would be ideal if i could some how tie both of the results together to get a clear pictue of a.f.r and at what time timing changes were happening together. Could a pause function be added to the replay? I am not very computer literate so will this be easy for me to do? or will there be some kind of guide on how to do it? Many Thanks Lee

david jenkins

What a coincidence!

Post by david jenkins »

I was thinking the same thing just a few days ago - it would be really nice if an external input could be added to the log, e.g. the output from an AFR monitor.

cheers,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Guys,

We are planning on leveraging the unused AUX input on the board as an engine temp sensor input (or whatever else you fancy...) The value will be loggable along with the other runtime data.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

That would be excellent - would it be recording a digital value, or an analogue voltage?

David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So the MJLJ processor will have an internal look-up table to convert the raw measured voltage to the scaled value- temperature, for example. Much like how the load axis works. Furthermore, the table can be effectively bypassed so the raw ADC value is measured and logged.

Sound good?

Brent

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Hmmmm, O2 sensor output of raw voltage in to AFR display, sounds excellent for datalogging purposes. Or temp or whatever, sounds great, Brent. Sounds like I should rob another output and turn it into the Aux input!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Actually, you don't have to rob one of your outputs. You already have the AUX input on your board going to an unused processor pin.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

brentp wrote:So the MJLJ processor will have an internal look-up table to convert the raw measured voltage to the scaled value- temperature, for example. Much like how the load axis works. Furthermore, the table can be effectively bypassed so the raw ADC value is measured and logged.

Sound good?

Brent
Sounds ideal!

I've been looking at one of these things to monitor the AFR on my very non-standard carb installation. I'll have to find out what outputs it can provide...

cheers,
David

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I know Brent, I was just saying to get the input into the case without installing an extra connector to the MJLJ. I don't use any of the 4 outputs anyway, just the REV and the shiftlight.

David, if Brent mods the firmware/programming, all you'll need is an O2 sensor, then you can convert the voltages to an A/F ratio for display in the datalog on the MJLJ. If you want a gauge on the dashboard, that's a different story. You can always grab a few LM3914/3915 LED drivers and some LEDs and make a bargraph for only a few bucks. It is easily calibrated as the linear voltage output of an O2 sensor is easily converted into a bargraph display. Three Lm3914s give you 30 LEDs output, a very precise indicator. Or just buy the display from JAW and get a number output. Either way, not too difficult. I know a couple guys with the Innovate LM1, $300 bucks but does the job well. They use them for EFI setup on VW pancake engines.

This link is for a 20 LED homebuilt gauge:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techart ... onitor.htm

Excellent info on the Bosch sensor:
http://www.wmsracing.com/o2/tech.htm

alfa boxer

EASY USE OF REALTIME DATA

Post by alfa boxer »

Hi, There is an optional rpm kit for data logging with the lm1, Can i use the Megajolt software instead when it is completed? or should i use Logworks that i got with the LM1? I would just like to get all the data on one spread sheet. will we be able to see the AFR on the laptop screen (THAT WOULD BE VERY COOL) with the rest of the mjlj data :D thanks lee

With the LM-1, precise AFR measurement allows the user to correctly adjust many variables- including carburetor jetting, fuel injection, turbo fuel curves. The meter’s digital signal processing technology provides data on exactly how rich or lean an engine is running at any load.

Basic Kit: includes a the Meter, a Bosch wide-band oxygen sensor and cable, cigarette-lighter power adapter, serial cable for PC connection, 9V battery, exhaust bung and plug, CD and manual.