Log view

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

charlie

Log view

Post by charlie »

At the moment I'm using gnumeric (open source spreadsheet app) to make graphs of the log data. This takes time and is hard to put more than a few parameters on a graph before you run out of y axes.

I really like the realtime run data view of the configurator as it scales the axes and has that lilltle thing where you can move the mouse and see what all the parameters are. I'd really like to load up the log data and read using the configurator, but (unless I've missed something) this can't be done.

Does anyone else think it would be a good feature to have?

Charlie

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Charlie,

We're working on a software update that adds this feature. The development has been paused while we work on other pressing issues, but we expect to get this out soon. Here's the main thread:

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Brent,

It's probably far too late, and probably too awkward, but I thought of another useful enhancement in a similar vein to this one:

At the moment, if you're logging data on a run, you have to find and (hopefully) press the space key to register a 'point of interest' on the log - not a good thing to do while driving!

Would it be possible to have a separate button connected somewhere to mark the log? I don't know whether this would be via the MJ unit or via the PC somehow, but it could make setting up much safer...

cheers,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

How good are you at taking apart your keyboard? :) J/K.

The space bar was chosen because it's the largest key, and in theory easiest to find. However- if that key was configurable- or if we make it so 'enter' marks the log as well, a remote USB keypad could be helpful. I personally would consider hacking the keyboard to enable a remote switch.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I suppose that it wouldn't be too hard to make up a little box that sends the space character to a PS/2 or USB port... time to Google, methinks... :D

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you want the quickest solution, I think the best bet would be to hack a cheap USB numeric keypad. In the software it would be a quick change to also make the 'enter' key trigger a mark on the log.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I think I'll try and find a broken keyboard at work (we have many PCs!) - one that functions properly but has keys missing, that sort of thing. The key control circuit board is usually tiny, and it shouldn't be too hard to work out how to replace the keypad with a few special buttons; it's only a matrix after all. I was thinking about a couple for the log start & stop function key(s), plus the space key.

If I fix the control box on the transmission tunnel then it will be really easy to set up and run a series of logs without having to touch the laptop. This is important when you're driving an open-topped roller-skate at speed! :D

cheers,
David

charlie

Post by charlie »

Ah. I thought it was a bit obvious for me to be the first person to have thought about it.

Hedworx

Post by Hedworx »

would it be possible to record and replay the data log on configuration interface including the gauges?
Mini 1310-RE13 cam

Ken555

Post by Ken555 »

charlie wrote:Ah. I thought it was a bit obvious for me to be the first person to have thought about it.
http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=

a few examples of cut down keyboards