MJLJ V4 in testing

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Ethel

Post by Ethel »

Thanks for the prompt reply,

I had thought of doing similar with a cross over relay but it still uses your outputs up :(

Attaching switching events to cells on the map would be rather good, though I appreciate that'd create a lot more work for controller.

Thanks for making a great product even better BTW :D

Spockie-Tech

Angle sensitive Aux/Knock input ?

Post by Spockie-Tech »

Greetings Brent.

A question regarding the Aux input as a possible kock retard. Is the MJ aware of the current engine angle ? Or is it just the Edis module that knows that ?

I was wondering if the Aux retard input could be made active only between certain angles, since the problem with knock sensors is that they pick up other engine noises as well and are prone to false knock detection.

If the input could be set to only respond to a input voltage for eg 10deg either side of TDC, then the incidence of false knock detection could be greatly reduced with a simple analog filter on the sensor and timing consideration done by the MJ.

Just a thought for consideration :)

MartinM

Re: Angle sensitive Aux/Knock input ?

Post by MartinM »

Spockie-Tech wrote:Is the MJ aware of the current engine angle ?
No. All it knows about is rpm and load (the latter via the TPS or MAP sensor)

Wouldn't be too hard (well, it would be quite hard actually!) for the MJLJ to tee into the VR sensor and detect the missing tooth and then work out the angle
Spockie-Tech wrote:Or is it just the Edis module that knows that ?
Yes

...until Megajolt 2 that is, when that *will* know exactly the current engine angle...

jetstuff

On Schedule?

Post by jetstuff »

Hi Brent,
are you on schedule to start shipping orders on June 8th? ....I'm in UK and keen to get started on the new kit

john

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We will be shipping orders out this weekend, in order of receipt. You will all receive shipping notifications with tracking as orders go out.

V4 Installation and Operation guides have been published!

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... tion_guide
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Angle sensitive Aux/Knock input ?

Post by brentp »

Spockie-Tech wrote:Greetings Brent.

If the input could be set to only respond to a input voltage for eg 10deg either side of TDC, then the incidence of false knock detection could be greatly reduced with a simple analog filter on the sensor and timing consideration done by the MJ.

Just a thought for consideration :)
Since we have a-priori knowledge of the approximate crank position based on when the PIP signal occurs, it may be possible to predict the crank angle and know when actual spark events are occurring. But, I would assert that would fall under the category of "unnatural acts" for the firmware to do and would be better suited for something Megajolt2 would handle.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

minicooper

Post by minicooper »

is the Aux Input advance correction capability available in addition to the switchable map via an on dash switch?

if so will this be available to the v3 board or will i need to upgrade to the v4?

oh and is it a plug and play swap with the v3 board?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

On V4 it will be switchable as with the main ignition map and user outputs.

On V3 the advance correction table will likely not fit in the controller's RAM, so this will likely reside in the Global Controller Options, which reads/writes directly to a separate region in flash from the ignition map. This is still somewhat up in the air since I haven't started porting the V4 enhancements to V3.

V4 has a 16 pin molex connector to accommodate the Aux input and coil power output, if fitted with an internal rev limiter. The V3 molex plug is pin compatible, providing you insert the plug in an offset manner. Take a look at the V4 installation guide for details:
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

germanz

Post by germanz »

Hello Brent,

I have on suggestion for the edis 6 wiring, diagramm. The original counting of the Ford coilpack spark output would help, to get the correct firing order instantly.

Cheers

Rainer

Supercharged Nat

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Hi Brent good work on the new Megajolt! i really like the aux input part. I would be looking to use it in conjunction with knock sensing, but like you have already said, itl need to investigating.

my question is- what sort of input does the aux require?- im not an electronics whizz so could you have a go at explaining it to a simpleton like me?
- would a voltage varying from (for example) 1 to 5 volts work? and then the 1volt being looked up on the table and the megajolt adjusting the timing value, or say 5 volts and megajolt adjusting the timing value acordingly.

what im trying to sus out is a way of converting the knock sensor signal into something the aux will like.
thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

See this part on interfacing the auxiliary input.
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... iary_Input

It's primarily designed for a resistive-type sensor, like a temperature sensor. But with a simple hardware mod (still need to document) it can accept 0-5v.

The aux input for V3 users will be leveraged in the same way.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

kturp

V3 to v4

Post by kturp »

Hi Brent just wanted to know if I can flash the new v4 firmware to my v3, now i got the racing car up and running I must say it ran great on the megajolt once I got my soldering technique correct.
thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

V4 uses a different processor and therefore the firmware is not compatible with V3. We are working on porting the features from V4 to V3. See:
http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1798

We will make an announcement when testable V2/V3 firmware is available.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ivanhoew

Post by ivanhoew »

alhbln wrote:There is a four pin output connectur shown in the installation sheet, including
a knock output signal. Interesting...

http://www.turboxs.com/uploaded_images/558.pdf
well spotted that man ! :D

paulc

Post by paulc »

just out of curiosity - what happened to the anodized red case?