V3.3.0 firmware / configuration software - for V3 hardware

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Danny,

Correct, that was the original idea for the aux input- adjust timing during warmup to improve drivability.

Yvan,

You should bypass your sensor and drive a variable voltage straight into the processor pin. You should be able to do this using a potentiometer set up as a voltage divider.

Also be sure to re-flash with the latest beta firmware, so your calibration data is set to the default values.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Yvan

Post by Yvan »

@DannyP: Yes, sensor was grounded.

@brentp: I need 0-5V at pin 8 on processor, right? And should I remove some components for AUX signal conditioning circuit that I added?
'87 BMW 316 E30
1600cc M10B16
petrol + LPG, MJLJ

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Correct. you can use a potentiometer as a voltage divider, using the unit's own power supply to drive a varying voltage. You may need to temporarily disable your input circuit if you have a pull-up resistor in place.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Yvan

Post by Yvan »

I did the test today. It behaves the same.

I flashed with mjlJunior_V3.3.0.s19 firmware, connected a potentiometer, tested for 0-5V. AUX gauge shows 4-255, but user configurable outputs do not change to ON when "Output Mode" is set to "Normal", or to OFF when "Output Mode" is set to "Invert".

With one exception that I had not noticed before. If "Output Mode" is set to "Normal" and "Activation Point" is set to 0 or 1 configurable output is ON when "Output Mode" is set to "Normal", and OFF when "Output Mode" is set to "Invert". As it should. But I can not test if it would change, since I can not go below 4 on AUX gauge.

If I set "Activation Point" to any value above 1 configurable output is OFF when "Output Mode" is set to "Normal", and ON when "Output Mode" is set to "Invert", regardles of what I do with the potentiometer.

What next?

BTW I soldered potentiometer output to AUX pad, it is connected to the pin 8 on processor, that can not make any difference, right?
'87 BMW 316 E30
1600cc M10B16
petrol + LPG, MJLJ

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Yvan,

Thanks for testing. It looks like you performed your test correctly, as far as I can tell.

I will re-check and document on my end when I have a spare moment.

Any others testing this, please post your results!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I am now officially running 3.3.0 firmware, and 3.3.1 interface. It ran fine, no bugs noticed yet. The trigger offset and crank advance work as advertised. I still have to wire up my sensor and calibrate it. I did make up a small board to protect the processor from the aux input.

Getting there, I hope I have better luck than Yvan! My sensor is inverse also, I still have to calibrate it. It does decreasing resistance with increasing temp.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Yvan or anybody, I need a little assistance. I took some readings and downloaded easy-therm, but it will not give me anything except errors, as it is looking for a Megasquirt ECU. I will do more readings if needed, but I did three. 50F is 2200 ohms, 150F is 900 ohms, and 212F is 119 ohms. My output voltages from the buffering circuit I built on the first page are 2.5v, 1.463v, and 0.258v, respectively. I am not "Excel literate" enough to scale this to a usable file, at least not any more. I used to know this stuff, but have forgotten most of it. Time to get the books out, I guess!

Thanks.

Yvan

Post by Yvan »

Here is the result file from my easy-therm.

Load it in mjlj configurator. At known temperature check what aux gauge reads. If necessary edit the file and add more zeros from the top or from the end of the file, but keep it at 256 lines.

Not sure if it will be correct, post back the results.
Attachments
DannyP.txt
Configuration file for DannyP
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
'87 BMW 316 E30
1600cc M10B16
petrol + LPG, MJLJ

dave9469

configurator problems

Post by dave9469 »

Hi Brent

I've finally got round to putting waisted spark on my TR6. I got it running the other day, without the MJ fitted and it ran fine at about 10'.

I thought I'd upgrade the firmware to 3.3.0 and configurator to 3.3.1 (all this was done fine and the load gauge moves when I suck on the pipe).

I went to set the number of cylinders but it doesn't seem to save it because when I reopen the configurator it always says 4. I clicked the write button and the commit button.

I'm not quite sure which API document is for this version but I'm assuming it's a cross between 3 & 4. If I send "g" to the MJ I get 64 charatures returned (15 onwards are 0) 1-14 are as follows in decimal 0,10,12,0,0,25,50,100,125,19,175,200,225 & 250.

V4 API only has up to byte 5 used so I don't know what the other numbers are. I've tried sending an update but I'm not 100% sure how to do that and the MJ locks up. I've tried a few combinations but I think I need to send "G26" is this correct?

In the global controller options the write options button gives the following error "Could not write global configuration data to controller: A communications timeout occured"

Hope all of this makes sence

Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Dave,

sorry for the late reply.

The API is different for V3.3.1- the controller supports a 'legacy' mode when configured with a 3.2.x config software, and an extended mode when configured with 3.3.x config software. The changes were largely around trying to jam in the extra features for controlling user outputs based on map/rpm and aux input. I still need to publish the API docs.

You might try re-flashing the controller with the base 3.3.1 firmware and then trying to update the cylinder count with the 3.3.1 software. If not, let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded all the configurator and firmware software again and reinstalled to 3.2.1 and everything worked as it should. I then reinstalled the configurator 3.3.1 and the firmware 3.3.0

Again it doesn't store the number of cylinders and in the global controller options I still get a communications timeout when I try to write the options. Could you do some more digging for me?

I was suprissed to read the 3.2.x configurator software is compatible with 3.3.0 firmware. I opened 3.2.1 configurator and it complains about the cylinder count being 170 and not 4,6 or 8. When I send a C to the mj bit 121 is 170. If I update the mj with 3.2.1 configurator bit 121 changes to 6. When I go back to 3.3.1 configurator the cylinder count is still at 4 and I cannot update and when I write ignition configuration bit 121 changes back to 170.

I was hoping to go out for a drive Thurday but I thing I'll have to put 3.2.1 back on until this is solved.

In your post you did say,
re-flashing the controller with the base 3.3.1 firmware
I assume you meant 3.3.0 firmware? if not where is 3.3.1 firmware located?

Cheers

Dave

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I think the firmware is 3.3.0 either way, that is what I am running now.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Apologies, I mis-spoke. there is no 3.3.1 firmware (yet). It's 3.3.0 for firmware, 3.3.1 for software.

I'll look into the cylinder count further.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Patriq

Re: V3.3.0 firmware / configuration software - for V3 hardwa

Post by Patriq »

brentp wrote:Emulating the V4 Aux input circuit would be a good start. An example circuit is below:

Please report your feedback and bug reports on this thread.
So, my coolant temperature sensor would be 12V, and I need both resistors ?
the +5V connections both go to the same +5V source on the board ?

Also, should I use tantalelectrolyte, polyester, or polypropylene capacitator ? Does it matter what voltage marking is on it ?
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !

Patriq

Post by Patriq »

Yes, and while on the topic. I was thinking I should buy the hard rev limiter for my v3 MJLJ. Could I use the unused slots on the board to install the input circuit for the temperature sensor maybe ?
What is the c-c distance between the holes ?
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand now !